Individual Master File

  • Thomasita
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
      If you sent a Freedom of Information Act request to the  IRS for your Individual Master File and received it, did you decode it yourself?  If so,generally,  what kind of information about the "taxpayer" did the Individual Master File (IMF) contain?
    • dave
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010

        Short answer is….It contains Wrong information. But what would one expect from the “service” that got income, liability and legal duty wrong from the get go? Awhile back people were doing great things fixing IMF’s….but alas…the service caught on and in my opinion either ignores, fixes the minor issues, and goes about its automated collection system…business as usual. The only thing that stops that is $$ or an offer to pay or from what people tell me, a Hendrickson CtC return fixed for zero liability.

        SEDM folks have got a near automated letter-generator fix program for Individual Master Files.

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5535 (20101015) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • jai mann
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
          Has any one had to deal with transferring money through Western Union, and some how, the person you were sending money to finds out that WU gave it to some one else? There was a special question that was included which was to help keep this kind of thing from happening. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter. I was thinking of finding out who the clerk was at the time and filing a personal claim against them, since I've heard it might be difficult to get refunds from WU.

          Advise appreciated.

        • Free Dickey
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 16, 2010
            Sounds like the agent may have got that money. If you sent it to a third world country, chances are that is what happened. Personally I use Moneygram. Its a whole lot cheaper and pretty reliable. I would confront Western Union. Then turn the matter over to the State Attorney General in your state and the state where Western Union is headquartered. Then send a copy of the same complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. Be sure to let Western Union know where you intend to send the letters. FTC is a little slow sometimes in coming. My cousin filed a complaint a couple of years ago and low and behold he got all of his money back. It tooka couple of years. Better late than never. Hope this helps. �Rich

            Has any one had to deal with transferring money through Western Union, and some how, the person you were sending money to finds out that WU gave it to some one else? There was a special question that was included which was to help keep this kind of thing from happening. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter. I was thinking of finding out who the clerk was at the time and filing a personal claim against them, since I've heard it might be difficult to get refunds from WU.

            Advise appreciated.
          • laughingsoftly
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2010
              This is what you need to do first.    Western Union has what is called a money transmitter and will be licensed as such within your state,  Generally they have rather stiff penalties and are regulated closer than you might think for these and other problems by state and federal laws and guidelines.  Chances are that if you go online for your state and look up money transmitters they will have a licensing agent, typically an attorney, who will be so surprised to hear from you that I imagine your claim may be expedited by a VERY large margin.

              Has any one had to deal with transferring money through Western Union, and some how, the person you were sending money to finds out that WU gave it to some one else? There was a special question that was included which was to help keep this kind of thing from happening. I'd appreciate any advice on the matter. I was thinking of finding out who the clerk was at the time and filing a personal claim against them, since I've heard it might be difficult to get refunds from WU.

              Advise appreciated.

              _

            • jai mann
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2010
                I want to thank you and the others who have responded. The WU workers in the fraud department clearly have scripts in front of them and they attempted to generalize my behavior as "wanting to blame any one", which is far from the case. I know that getting hot-headed doesn't resolve any thing and it makes you over look little details that you should probably be writing down. I will take into account what every one has recommended and try to go from there.

                We'll see what happens....