Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: property tax case

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 24 2:28 AM
         > People might want to VERIFY those cites and/or READ the cases because there are many things on the internet that have INCORRECT cites and/or are taken out of CONTEXT.

    I don't know what particular cites / cases Patrick is referring to, but his statement applies to all & I'd say "must" rather than "might want to" !!!

    Speaking for myself only, I never quote from a case I don't actually have the full text of & whatever I quote is straight from the actual text, but almost every day I see where someone has done a copy & paste from a website, e-mail, etc. & what they're citing / quoting is either wrong, or in many cases, the case cited or language used doesn't even exist.

    Here's a classic example - one guy had the below cite / quote on every e-mail he sent to group forums (other false statements too) - don't know if he still does it 'cause I put him on the "blocked sender" list, since he wouldn't take the false statements off the pre-formatted e-mails:

    “A finding of no jurisdiction will mean that we as a nation accept usurpation and tyranny by a small group of individuals who can act in concert and gain control of both parties and overthrow the constitutional order of our Republic and that citizens of the United States such as the plaintiffs, whose life, liberty, safety, security, tranquility, and property are threatened by such a plan and action, do not have any due process to protect themselves through a legal action in which they ask the judicial branch of government to protect them by enforcing the Constitution.”

    United States v. Olmstead, 277 U.S. 438 (1928).

    The above "quote" does not exist.  The decision says no such thing, and in fact the case is Olmstead v. United States, not the other way around.

    I've attached the decision (about telephone wiretapping) in a .pdf file - do a word search for "nation", "usurpation" & "overthrow" - you'll find they're not in the decision.  Do a word search for "tyranny" & you'll find the word is used once -  but not in any statement even close to the above "quote".

    ~ ~ ~