Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: I need a certain document...

  • BOB GREGORY
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2010

      Here is this, for what it is worth.

           Do You Know
                              Who Owns Your Car?

      Tennessee Department of Revenue Operations Supervisor Denise Rottero
      told Judge Greer how Tennessee's auto registration process works.

      The process begins with the "surrender" of the Manufacturer's Statement of
      Origin ("MSO") by the auto dealer to the Department of Revenue, in exchange
      for a Certificate of Title.  Asked if a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is
      proof of ownership, legal title to the automobile, Ms. Rottero said, "Yes."

      "Are you telling me that ownership of an automobile must be surrendered to
      the State before it can be registered?" she was asked.

      "Surrender title, yes." Rottero said.

      The certificate of title to your automobile is Not title, it's merely evidence that
      title exists.  Your car's legal TITLE is the MSO, which the dealer surrendered
      to the State.  Ms. Rottero said the MSO is put on microfilm for permanent
      keeping, the original is destroyed.

      After the trial, spectators expressed shock that their personal automobiles
      were actually owned by the state.  "No wonder state law officers stop people
      for no reason!" said a housewife.  "If your car's got a Tennessee plate, it's
      theirs, and they can do anything they like to you!"  That's the law, but it's
      voluntary.  No one but Judge Greer had dared say that if you don't
      surrender your car to the state in exchange for plates, you go to jail.

      For more information, contact ...

      America Today
      P.O. Box 188
      Houston, MO

      Thomas wrote:

      Look in your glove-box [or in your vehicle papers file(s)]. There you will find a CERTIFICATE OF TITLE which [MAYbe] tells you that Title [the Manufacturer' s Certificate/ Statement of Origin, which you surrendered to get the Cert. of Title!] exists for that vehicle and DMV/BMV/BOR/ etc. claims to knows where it is.