Re: [tips_and_tricks] Freedom of Information Act Request Received: Need Advice

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2010

         > . . . ask for ACTUAL signed federal Tax liens they have on file and be clear you DON'T want NFTL's.

      There is no such thing, as a "federal tax lien" arises by statute (IRC § 6321) & the Notice is the only paper required.  The Notice itself is not the lien, it's just notice that one exists & a lien is intangible.  The commonly-held belief that a lien has to be a physical document, signed by a judge, etc. is false.

         "Lien.  A claim, encumbrance, or charge on property for payment of some debt, obligation or duty." - Black's Law Dictionary 6th Ed., p. 922.

      And not requesting assessment documentation is foolish in that the IRS "enjoys the presumption of correctness" & if they saw there's a valid assessment & you didn't request the documentation, there IS a valid assessment.  But in 20 years of studying & dealing with IRS issues I've never seen one - computer-generated forms yes, but not a single document which complies with the Regulations - as the courts require, if you raise the issue.

      Also, when you state in writing that you haven't filed a return since (whenever), you open the door to being charged for "willful failure to file" (IRC § 7203).  And if Substitute for Returns have been done & you get the Individual Master File (IMF) which applies to you, you'll find that it does show a "Return Received Date" even if you did not file a return.  I won't take the time to explain why as it's complicated, but it's really tough to say you willfully failed to file a return when their own master record shows a return received & on a specific date.

      ~ ~ ~

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2010
      Here is an idea, adjust the text per your specific situation... and make sure you study more about the APA! I believe that this statute has great potential for helping the people!

      Did you send you FOIA Notarized? I found I received a different response when one of my requests was notarized...

      Michael

      IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email message, and any attachments, is intended only for the individual/entity named herein. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone and destroy all originals and copies of this message. Nothing contained within, or inferred by, this communication is to be construed to be legal, financial or tax advice. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any kind or work product privilege.