Re:I need a certain document...

  • Dale Pond
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
      Here is an expose on the topic:

    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
        Look in your glove-box [or in your vehicle papers file(s)]. There you will find a CERTIFICATE OF TITLE which [MAYbe] tells you that Title [the Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin, which you surrendered to get the Cert. of Title!] exists for that vehicle and DMV/BMV/BOR/etc. claims to knows where it is.

        "Kathleen" <ozzies_mom@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have or know where I can find the legal document that tells us that we don't actually own our own vehicles... the state does...
        >
        > I know I've seen it, but I can't remember where...
      • BOB GREGORY
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2010

          Here is this, for what it is worth.

               Do You Know
                                  Who Owns Your Car?

          Tennessee Department of Revenue Operations Supervisor Denise Rottero
          told Judge Greer how Tennessee's auto registration process works.

          The process begins with the "surrender" of the Manufacturer's Statement of
          Origin ("MSO") by the auto dealer to the Department of Revenue, in exchange
          for a Certificate of Title.  Asked if a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is
          proof of ownership, legal title to the automobile, Ms. Rottero said, "Yes."

          "Are you telling me that ownership of an automobile must be surrendered to
          the State before it can be registered?" she was asked.

          "Surrender title, yes." Rottero said.

          The certificate of title to your automobile is Not title, it's merely evidence that
          title exists.  Your car's legal TITLE is the MSO, which the dealer surrendered
          to the State.  Ms. Rottero said the MSO is put on microfilm for permanent
          keeping, the original is destroyed.

          After the trial, spectators expressed shock that their personal automobiles
          were actually owned by the state.  "No wonder state law officers stop people
          for no reason!" said a housewife.  "If your car's got a Tennessee plate, it's
          theirs, and they can do anything they like to you!"  That's the law, but it's
          voluntary.  No one but Judge Greer had dared say that if you don't
          surrender your car to the state in exchange for plates, you go to jail.

          For more information, contact ...

          America Today
          P.O. Box 188
          Houston, MO