Re: [tips_and_tricks] Re: Judicial Notice and evidence

  • The Handyman
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
      In January 2010 I tried entering affidavits into evidence for the first time.  After studying procedure on how it should be done I took the stand and stated that the affidavits were signed by me and everything in them were were true and subject to perjury. The Judge accepted them and they were placed into evidence but I don't think he gave weight to  their contents. The case is now on appeal and I await the appellate decision to see if they consider the affidavits. I found the process of pro se value to get a lot more into the record and not spend a whole lot of time on the stand asking yourself questions and then answering them.  I gave the defendant a copy of each affidavit in case he wanted to cross-examine me and he only asked one question. I'm not sure but was told that if an affidavit that is not traversed is taken as absolute. I have never seen a motion in limine argued or produce any  favorable pro se results.  If anyone has a motion in limine that worked I would like to see some evidence. Most seem to ask for a dismissal.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
        Could you post a copy of one of those motions?  I have never seen a Motion in Limine used for anything except to EXCLUDE evidence.  And Black's Sixth say it is a pretrial motion to keep opposing counsel from interjecting or referring to evidence that might be prejudicial.  I have never heard of it being used to introduce evidence.  It appears that you should be filing a Motion in Limine to exclude any reference to this 1992 incident as being prejudicial and irrelevant.

        Gary

        Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:03 PM

      • gary2666@centurytel.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2010
          I have actually only done one Motion in Limine for someone and I can't say if it worked or not as the judge told the plaintiff that he would rule on the motion just before seating the jury (it was a credit card case against a third party debt purchaser) and he gave them 15 minutes to decide what they wanted to do.  When they came back into court, they withdrew.  During discovery, the plaintiff had failed to timely answer a discovery request and a motion to have the admissions declared as admitted was granted.  Among the admissions was one I always include, it asks them to admit that the defendant owes them nothing.  Since these were declared as admitted, the Motion in Limine was to exclude the plaintiff from presenting any evidence at the trial that would contradict their admissions.  Pretty difficult to go forward with a debt collection suit when they have admitted that you don't owe them anything.  I can only guess that the plaintiff thought the judge would grant the motion or they would not have withdrawn.  I assume the plaintiff was not happy with the outcome as he was observed waving his arms and yelling at his attorney.

          The judge in that case said he had never seen a Motion in Limine from a Pro Se.  I'm glad they withdrew as I'm not sure the lady I was writing for could have held it together and not screwed up through a jury trial.  She told a lawyer friend of the family that she was going to be doing a jury trial Pro Se and he laughed at her.  Much better to beat them before trial.

          Gary

          Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 5:40 AM

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9, 2010
            My reply button is not working so I must repost.

             windandthestone said:Wow -- I can't imagine a judge doing that.  Seems like that could be appealed at the end of the case, and ask for a more studied ruling.  Since it's been a while, an update of your situation would be great.  Thanks for sharing this.  I'd love to learn more.  Are there any files you could upload?  Thanks, Melissa

            "The Handyman" <ebobie@...> wrote:

            I'm not sure how this will play out but many believe the defendant has a contractual right to be represented.  My counter is that they may have a contractual right to be assisted or receive legal advice but no man has a right to be represented because representation is a fiction according to Bouvier's Law Dictionary :

            :”REPRESENTATION OF PERSONS; A fiction of the law, the effect of which is to put the representative in

             the place, degree, or right of the person represented. It was invented by the commentators and doctors of

            the civil law. Toull. Dr. Civ. Fr. liv. 3, t. 1, c. 3, n. 180. Vide Ayl. Pand. 397; Dall. Diet. mot Succession, art. 4, § 2.

            Question presented for review:

            Can a fiction represent substance? Is not a man substance? But all attornieys will decide the issue. One attorney has published:

             Jeremy Bentham sharply criticized the notion of legal fictions, saying that "fictions are to law what fraud is to
             trade".

             You cannot have a fictional attorney invade a man’s court and

            pretend to be a man or stand in place of a man, or state the man’s thoughts. The right to be

            represented may be a right in other countries but there is no such right in the  United States . The royal

             prerogative of admitting lawyers to practice did not devolve upon any other than the people in the several

            States and is not delegated to Government.  Fontain v. Ravenel, 17 How. 369, 384,

            Would like to see others  use this to see the results.