I need a certain document...

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28 3:40 PM
      Does anyone have or know where I can find the legal document that tells us that we don't actually own our own vehicles... the state does...

      I know I've seen it, but I can't remember where...

      Thanks in advance... Kathy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010

        That's not true for everyone. For example, me.

        > I know I've seen it, but I can't remember where...

        It's your own certificate of title.

        Regards,
      • Dale Pond
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
          Here is an expose on the topic:

        • Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
            Look in your glove-box [or in your vehicle papers file(s)]. There you will find a CERTIFICATE OF TITLE which [MAYbe] tells you that Title [the Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin, which you surrendered to get the Cert. of Title!] exists for that vehicle and DMV/BMV/BOR/etc. claims to knows where it is.

            "Kathleen" <ozzies_mom@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have or know where I can find the legal document that tells us that we don't actually own our own vehicles... the state does...
            >
            > I know I've seen it, but I can't remember where...
          • BOB GREGORY
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2010

              Here is this, for what it is worth.

                   Do You Know
                                      Who Owns Your Car?

              Tennessee Department of Revenue Operations Supervisor Denise Rottero
              told Judge Greer how Tennessee's auto registration process works.

              The process begins with the "surrender" of the Manufacturer's Statement of
              Origin ("MSO") by the auto dealer to the Department of Revenue, in exchange
              for a Certificate of Title.  Asked if a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is
              proof of ownership, legal title to the automobile, Ms. Rottero said, "Yes."

              "Are you telling me that ownership of an automobile must be surrendered to
              the State before it can be registered?" she was asked.

              "Surrender title, yes." Rottero said.

              The certificate of title to your automobile is Not title, it's merely evidence that
              title exists.  Your car's legal TITLE is the MSO, which the dealer surrendered
              to the State.  Ms. Rottero said the MSO is put on microfilm for permanent
              keeping, the original is destroyed.

              After the trial, spectators expressed shock that their personal automobiles
              were actually owned by the state.  "No wonder state law officers stop people
              for no reason!" said a housewife.  "If your car's got a Tennessee plate, it's
              theirs, and they can do anything they like to you!"  That's the law, but it's
              voluntary.  No one but Judge Greer had dared say that if you don't
              surrender your car to the state in exchange for plates, you go to jail.

              For more information, contact ...

              America Today
              P.O. Box 188
              Houston, MO