Re: Don't like giving out SSN's? .Fox Business News says "make up an SSN"

  • windandthestone
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
      Why make up a Social Security Number when the Social Security Administration clearly says "No Social Security Number Needed!!"

      "How do I apply for a Social Security number and card?

      Unless you are a **NONCITIZEN** who wants to work in the United States, you probably do not need a Social Security number.

      Generally, only **noncitizens** authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual's wages to the government and to determine a person's eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services.
      Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to get a driver's license, register for school, obtain private health insurance, or to apply for school lunch programs or subsidized housing.
      Some organizations use Social Security numbers to identify you in their records. Most, however, will identify you by some other means if you request it.

      We cannot assign you a Social Security number solely so you can get a driver's license or a service that requires a credit check.

      Although many companies, such as banks and credit companies, may ask for your Social Security number, you are generally not required to provide one if you don't have one." (emphasis mine)

      http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

      --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "dave" <dwissel@...> wrote:

      > From: dave [mailto:dwissel@...]
      >

      > Folks:
      >
      > Bean counters at companies-i.e. who "demand" government forms-are empowered
      > through propaganda to "do the work of government". These are some of the
      > most ignorant people you will encounter. That is because their "truth" comes
      > ONLY from someone-else's OPNION. Custom "rules" these people's lives and
      > that custom comes from the media-which is in turn-fed by "the fed". ...

    • dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2010
        Yes.it is true that you do not need an SSN..absolutely. However bear this in mind:

        1. Most employers/banks don't know this.

        2. They are DIRECTED by the IRS "information officers" to make it their policy to only offer services or employment based on SSN. [I tried to get EEOC interested in several documented cases..not a chance!]

        3. They don't care to know you don't have one.. and perfectly willing to let you go elsewhere.

        I checked with 22 banks here and ALL parrot back the words of the IRS: "It is our POLICY that we need an SSN to open an account. You are free to go elsewhere. "

        Employers state the same thing. "It is our policy that you have an SSN in order to work here."

        Only BOA said they would open up an account w/o an SSN..but only if they were showed ID from another country..like Mexican ID for example.

        Now if ANYONE knows of a bank that has a policy of NOT needing an SSN, let me know. I want to put it up on a website..like a whole list of banks.