FW: Memorial Service for Bob Clarkson (highlights Sam's)

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2010

      From: sam.oneil [mailto:sam.oneil@ gmail.com]
      Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2010 6:24 AM
      To: undisclosed-recipients:
      Subject: Memorial Service for Bob Clarkson (highlights mine)

      Robert Barnwell Clarkson II, J.D., died Monday after a long struggle
      with stomach cancer. Born in Sumter, he served as a platoon
      commander in the 25th Infantry in Vietnam. After the war he
      graduated in economics from Clemson and earned the Juris Doctor at
      USC. A disabled veteran the rest of his life, he nevertheless
      dedicated it to training and helping citizens defend themselves
      against predatory bureaucracies. As early as his Clemson years he
      was litigating against misuse of student fees
      . As a young attorney he
      realized the IRS and state Department of Revenue were taking
      advantage of often weak and ill-informed working people, and the
      redressing of lawless tax collections became his primary focus
      . His
      Patriot Network clubs in cities around the country met in
      restaurants and celebrated life as they educated attendees. He
      produced and distributed thousands of books, videos and other
      resources and appeared as guest on hundreds of radio and TV talk
      shows. The organization continues since his demise.

      Known for conviviality and hospitality as well as dedication to his
      work, Dr. Clarkson answered friends' phone calls "Sue 'em all." He
      started making headlines in the early 1980s by turning an IRS
      appointment at his home into a "tea party" with real tea, a prayer,
      the Pledge of Allegiance, and the sun in the agent's eyes at the
      picnic table. As reported with photo in the Greenville News, the
      agent left in a state of total confusion.
      Tea parties for many other
      taxpayers followed. Arrested for leading a demonstration in front of
      an IRS office in Greenville, Dr. Clarkson filed a First Amendment
      suit and "got a new roof out of it."

      Archly dubbing himself "The Great One", he strategically foiled
      thousands of tax proceedings. His work became nationally recognized
      and legally embattled. It often took him into courtrooms where he
      helped citizens apply what they had learned in his seminars. Called
      twice before the state Supreme Court for his activities, Dr. Clarkson
      and his associates successfully defended against all charges and
      sometimes had the solemn justices laughing. His third of a century in
      legal and political work brought awards from the Justice Times,
      Freedom Law School and similar organizations.

      An occasional candidate for political office and libertarian icon,
      Dr. Clarkson put the Constitution Party permanently on the ballot in
      South Carolina and ran for U.S. Congress on the Republican
      ticket in 1992.

      For more information contact pnsecretary@ patriotnetwork. info

      We are pleased to announce that plans are finally in place for The Great One's memorial service:

      Sunday, March 7, 3:00 PM
      American Legion Post 14
      1301 East Greenville Street
      Anderson, SC 29621

      Look for a cannon and a tank! Directions and map per Mapquest, arbitrarily using Greenville as a starting point:

      http://www.mapquest .com/mq/5- B4ND

      To get directions from your area, start here

      http://www.mapquest .com/directions

      and enter 29621-3935 as the end zip code just above the big green GET DIRECTIONS button.

      Please let us know also if you pictures or memorabilia of RBC. We'll probably have a display of them in the downstairs meeting room (the service will be upstairs).

      Family members and friends will be present. Please show respect for them and the occasion by dressing "business casual" or what they used to call "school clothes" when I was growing up.

      Robert moved in two worlds -- patriots and his family. (Sound familiar to anybody?) Please express your sympathy to any relatives of his that may attend. It will mean something to them that we in the patriot community, which occupied so much of Robert's life and work, have them in our thoughts and prayers. Many of you know that Robert's brother Jim is a fireball of truth in his own right. You'll enjoy talking to him!

      By Robert's own wish, all are invited to proceed from the Post to a celebration gathering at good old Ryan's located at

      3517 Clemson Blvd
      Anderson, SC 29621

      From the American Legion Post:

      Turn right onto 81 go 7/10 of a mile turn right on Boulevard

      go 7/10 of a mile turn right onto Clemson Blvd

      Ryan's is 2.5 miles on the left

      Near Lowes and across the street from Golden Corral and Sonic Drive-in

      We've got a room there from 4:30 PM on. Tell them at the door you're with the Clarkson party. A tip will be added to everyone's individual check.

      Ryan's is sure they can accommodate us but there's a slim chance our group may have to overflow into the main area. Anybody who would like to get up and offer (brief) good memories of Robert at the restaurant, please let me know.

      The family will be having a small graveside service in Columbia Monday, but the conditions are too tight (e.g. a 30 minute time limit) to make for anything of a gathering. Any who feel strongly about attending that event, contact me for details.

      Let us assure you that the work of the Patriot Network has continued full-time since our leader's tragic demise. It will go on. There's no stopping the Patriot Network!

      For freedom (2 Cor. 3:17),

      Corrected biography below.

      Robert Barnwell Clarkson II

      Anderson:  A memorial service for Robert Barnwell Clarkson II, 62, of Anderson , will be held at 3 pm, Sunday, March 7, in Anderson , SC , at the Anderson American Legion Post 14.  The graveside service will be held 1 pm, Monday, March 8, 2010 at Ft. Jackson National Cemetery , Columbia .  Following the burial, a reception will be held at the Reflections Clubhouse, 2 Stoney Creek Rd.  In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Hospice Care, Palliative Care Foundation, Spartanburg .

      Robert died Monday, March 1, 2010.  Born June 4, 1947 in Camden , he was a son of Frances Dargan Clarkson and the late James S. H. Clarkson, Jr. of Sumter .  Robert was an Army veteran of Vietnam , having served as a First Lieutenant and platoon leader in the 25th Infantry Division.   He was a graduate of Clemson University and earned his Juris Doctor at the University of South Carolina .  He was self-employed as a tax advisor.   He was a member of the Western Carolina Sailing Club and the VFW.

      He is survived by his daughter, Caroline Hinkelman and husband, Travis, of Lincoln, NE; grandchildren, Gabby and Owen; mother, Frances Clarkson of Sumter; brothers; Jim Clarkson of Columbia, twin brother Dargan Clarkson of Sumter, Thomas Clarkson of Kingsville, TX; sisters, Fran Clarkson and Bess Long, both of Pawley’s Island.

      ShivesFuneralHome. com