Re: [tips_and_tricks] Marriage

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
      If I am not mistaken, the law of reciprocity would apply here. A
      marriage in any state is recognized in every other state. My personal
      response would be to sue them for discrimination. Although, I am not a
      fan of the ACLU, they might be of some assistance here if only to see if
      I am correct. Keep in mind things for the future, such as if your wife
      should retire from this company and something happened to her, you would
      not be entitled to any of her retirement benefits, 401Ks, etc. Also,
      there may be an international treaty/law recognizing marriages by a
      ship's Captain.

      Gary

      Ron Ayers wrote:

      > I dwell in South Carolina which recognizes Common Law marriages. My
      > wife and I got married on a cruise ship in international waters and we
      > filled out a Marriage Certificate. My wife works for a major
      > insurance company based in the mid west. My wife put me on her health
      > insurance at work. And a couple of months later, she was asked to
      > provide a Marriage license or Certificate to provide our marriage.
      > The rejected our marriage Certificate and terminated me on her
      > insurance policy. We provided the laws showing that Common Law
      > marriages were lawfull in SC. The insurance company official told us
      > that they did not have to recognize our Common Law marriage because
      > they (the company) was not headquartered in SC. I did not want to
      > press the issue as I did not want to put her job in jeoparady. Any
      > Advice?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Ron

    • Dale Pond
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
        Convert your marriage statement/agreement/contract into a duly sworn
        and witnessed affidavit.
        That puts your feet firmly on legal ground to then move as you see
        fit or circumstances indicate....