Questions Resolved Against Government Cite?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2009
      Thursday 29 October 2009

      I have an appeal going against the Illinois Toll
      Authority, where the goofy administrative rep
      said the fine was in "Canadian dollars" when I
      pressed him to tell me what kind of dollars.

      In the adminstrative review, the state's atty
      pleading clarified the judgment amount, "clearly
      meant to be in US Dollars," which do not circulate
      in this country, either.

      There is a quote from a case that says any
      unresolved questions are to be resolved against
      the gov't, if anyone has it handy.

      Appreciated,

      mn
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2009
        --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mn_chicago@...> wrote:
        > There is a quote from a case that says any
        > unresolved questions are to be resolved against
        > the gov't, if anyone has it handy.

        Found the case, but it pertained to tax statutes:

        Gould v Gould, 245 US 151, 153

        "In the interpertation of statutes levying taxes,
        it is the established rule not to extend their
        provisions, by implication, beyond the clear import
        of the language used, or to enlarge their operations
        so as to embrace matters not specifically pointed out.
        In case of doubt they are construed most strongly
        against the government and in favor of the citizen."