StoneCutterAl just joshing us...

  • legalbear7
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2009
      I searched all federal courts for this quotes and citation:

      "In re Platsky: court errs if court dismisses the pro se litigant without instruction of how pleadings are deficient and how to repair pleadings."

      and it did not turn up. Bear
    • Gary D
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2009
        In light of these principles, we think that the district court should
        not have dismissed Platsky's complaints without affording him leave to replead.
        Generally, "[i]n a suit against the United States, there cannot be a right to
        money damages without a waiver of sovereign immunity." United States v. Testan, 424 U.S. 392, 400, 96 S.Ct. 948, 954, 47
        L.Ed.2d 114 (1976). Platsky,
        however, premised his actions on Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents of the Federal Bureau of
        Narcotics, 403 U.S. 388, 91 S.Ct. 1999, 29 L.Ed.2d 619 (1971). "Bivens
        established that the victims of a constitutional violation by a federal agent
        have a right to recover damages against the official in federal court despite
        the absence of any statute conferring such a right." Carlson v. Green, 446 U.S. 14, 18, 100 S.Ct. 1468, 1471, 64 L.Ed.2d
        15 (1980). As the district court recognized, even in Bivens actions
        jurisdictional limitations permit a plaintiff to sue only the federal government
        officials responsible for violating the plaintiff's constitutional rights; a
        plaintiff cannot sue the agency for which the officials work. Mack v. United States, 814 F.2d 120, 122-23 (2d Cir.1987). Leonhard v. United States, 633 F.2d 599, 618 n. 27 (2d
        Cir.1980), cert. denied, 451 U.S. 908, 101 S.Ct. 1975, 68 L.Ed.2d 295 (1981).
        Instead of simply dismissing the complaints for naming federal agencies as the
        defendants, it would have been appropriate for the district judge to explain the
        correct form to the pro se plaintiff so that Platsky could have amended his
        pleadings accordingly.

        We think that Platsky
        should have a chance to state his claim more clearly. It is not " 'beyond doubt
        that the plaintiff can prove no set of facts in support of his claim[s],' " Haines v. Kerner, 404 U.S. at 521, 92 S.Ct. at 595, and
        therefore we hold that the better course would have been for the district court,
        in dismissing Platsky's pro se complaints, to grant him leave to file amended
        pleadings. Elliott v. Bronson, 872 F.2d at 22. We have instructed Platsky that his complaint must set
        out, with particularity and specificity, the actual harms he suffered as a
        result of the defendants' clearly defined acts.

        Platsky v. C.I.A., 953 F.2d 26
        (C.A.2 (N.Y.), 1991)

        Best Gary