General Post

  • Virgil Cooper
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 2009
      Hello, Robert and others on this list,

      I think you mean General Delivery.  All mail in the United States was delivered "General Delivery" prior to the Civil War.
      Post Civil War, the federal government began expanding its powers and services.  Sometime after the Civil War, delivery
      of mail began to be made to homes and businesses.  When the standard service was General Delivery, everyone went to
      the Post Office and inquired to see if any mail was being held for them.  The standard holding time is 30 days.  For General
      Delivery, you don't have to have an "account" or a P.O. Box in advance.  The bureaucrat clerk at the P.O. may not be familiar
      with General Delivery and may balk at your advising them that you wish to receive your mail by this alternative method.  You
      don't have to have their permission.  Nosy, snoopy, bureaucratically minded P.O. clerks think that because of "terrorism" they
      have to know everything about who you are and where you live and who else will receive mail at "your address", etc., ad nausium.
      Once you begin and regularly stop by to pick up any mail being held "General Delivery" for you, it will become routine and they
      will get used to it.  The legal and technical detail they don't like is that you would not be availing yourself of a federal privilege.
      Having a P.O. Box or having mail delivered to a Rural Route Box or to a home or business address is a regulated privilege.
      Several people in the Phoenix constitutional research group over the past years intentionally received their mail via General Delivery.
      It just isn't as convenient as having a P.O. Box or home or business delivery.  The comparison is having a bank account.  Government
      snoops can scan an area database of all bank signature cards when they are doing "skip tracing" -- looking for someone.  Same with
      Post Office P.O. Boxes and Rural Route and home and business address delivery.  All the information is available as a scan-able,
      searchable database.  Same as with Driver's Licenses.  It is all part of the federal program and Federal Reserve bank program called
      "know your customer".  General Delivery is NOT part of that program.  General Delivery goes all the way back to 1787 -- the founding
      of this country.   Just one additional note: The P.O. information is merged with the 911 database.  That's why the P.O. clerk asks so many
      questions.  General Delivery avoids that.  Your mail can be sent General Delivery to P.O. #1 this week, P.O. #2 next week, etc., randomly
      to other Post Offices located in your area and why you choose to receive your mail in this manner is none of their business.  Some people place a
      high value on their privacy.   That's HIGH VALUE on the privacy of their personal affairs, even the mail they receive.  About ten years ago,
      in Glendale (suburb of Phoenix) a lady ran a home-based private mail service with over one hundred customers.  The U.S.P.O. changed the rules
      regarding private mail forwarding services and required all of their customers to be identified.  Myself and many others in our group protested and
      refused to comply.  We represented the majority of her customers.  She also refused to comply and closed down her business and notified the U.S.P.O,
      that rather than divulge the information the P.O. wanted on her customers, she would go out of business, which she did.  General Delivery avoids
      these problems.

      Hope this is helpful information.

      Virgil
      Vernon, Arizona

      rherdoiza wrote:

      I am interested in establishing mail coming to me General Post Office (not a post office box) however I have had resistance to it by several clerks at a couple different locations. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it - or, do I just have senders start mailing to me at the GPO my city , state and zip?

      Robert

    • enilak666@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2009

        Traditionally, anyone could have their mail sent to them c/o General Delivery at any certain post office. If the clerks are resistant to this, talk with their supervisor regarding current policy on General Delivery requirements.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 2009
          READ the the Domestic Mail Manual [google it!] of U.S.P.S. [a private corporation]: ; follow it; and demand that THEY follow it as well.

        • Email41@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2009
            You may have to travel out of the way to establish a location in the general post-office. I have to travel 17 miles to another town to call for my mail matter at the general post-office.

            Remeber free mail service was to make this convienent for everyone so that the would readily accept the benefit.
          • Susanne Waid
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 2009
              I have several friends in Wyoming who receive their mail at a General Post Office address.  It's my understanding that all US post offices offer this option.  Talk to your postmaster & tell him/her that you want to set this up.  I don't think that they can refuse.  If you don't pick up the mail within 30 days, it is returned to the sender.

              Susanne Waid