RE: General Post

  • dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 19 9:36 PM

      What you are referring to is “General Delivery” and yes…USPS does not like to encourage slaves to not have a physical location where their brethren in government can corn-hole you. That and they loose money because no PO box fee.

      Here is my trick. Call up the post office and ask the postal dude for the EXACT physical address of the Post Office and zip code. Then address your letter like this:

      Joe Sovereign

      General Delivery—Postmaster Hold for Pickup

      123 Main St

      Boring, State of Apathy, ZIP

      [If you want to really mess with attorney’s trying to “place you” at a residence then include the words, “Mailing address of Convenience”. You can then jurisdiction defeat--when they try to PLACE you via the standard cornhole of a court caption address into a residence--with a simply rebuttal of same stating all disclosures identified same address as a mailing address and NOT a residence as implied in the court caption address.]

      http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesfordelivery/receivemailinotherplaces.htm

      http://www.seanmichaelragan.com/html/%5B2008-01-28%5D_My_experience_with_general_delivery.shtml

      [2008-01-28] My experience with general delivery

      lifehacks

      "General delivery" is a service the US Postal Service has offered since its earliest days, before the invention of the telegraph, when the only way to communicate with a person who was travelling, for instance, would be to send them a letter. Since you didn't know exactly when they would be where, you could send a letter to "General Delivery" at a post office in a town they would be expected to pass through. The service survives today as a handy way to send mail to a person who may be without a physical address. Homeless people, for instance, can and commonly do receive mail in this way. Basically, the post office will hold your mail at their location until you come in and ask for it.

      I became interested in general delivery as a possible way to receive mail completely anonymously. Not because I'm up to anything truly nefarious, mind you, but because I'm interested in privacy issues and in the possibility of living without my every waking move being monitored by the government. Out of curiosity, then, I resolved to send myself a letter by general delivery and see if I could receive it anonymously. I read about the details of the service on the USPS web site, from which I gathered that it was sufficient to simply write my name, the words "General delivery," and the city in which I live. Each municipality supposedly has a "main" post office where general delivery mail is held. Looking on the Frommer's travel guide site, I discovered that Austin's main post office is supposedly located at 8225 Cross Park Dr.

      So I mailed myself a letter addressed "Sean Ragan/General Delivery/Austin,TX" and listed my parents' address as the return address. I dropped the letter in a corner postbox and waited about a week before venturing over to the Cross Park office. According to the clerk, however, it was impossible for the letter to be delivered without a ZIP code. I explained to him what I'd read online about the notion of each municipality having a "main branch," and he just shook his head as though that was completely foreign to his understanding. He went into the back of his office to check for the letter and did not find it. It's possible, now, that my information from Frommer's was incorrect, and the city's main post office is in fact located elsewhere.

      Figuring, however, that I was willing to concede on a ZIP code (since, after all, I could always choose one other than the ZIP in which I actually reside), I mailed another letter to myself addressed "Sean Ragan/General Delivery/Austin, TX 78705." Unfortunately, I made the mistake of posting it from my condominum's outgoing mailbox; the carrier recognized my name and simply transferred the letter from the outgoing box to my unit's inbox.

      The third attempt was successful. I posted the same letter from a public streetcorner box, waited about a week, then went over to the 78705 post office at 43rd and Speedway at around 7:30AM one morning. I talked to the woman at the dutch door before the main office was open and explained to her that I was picking up mail by general delivery. I gave her my name and, by sheer force of habit I think, she asked "What's the address?" I blinked and told her there was no address, as it was general delivery. She said, "Oh, right," and wandered off into the back to recover my letter. She brought it out and asked for photo identification before she would allow me to receive it. I showed her my Texas driver's license, but she just glanced at the photo. My impression was that she was only interested in whether or not the ID matched my face and the name on the letter.

      So the results of this, my preliminary experiment, suggest that, yes, one could receive mail completely anonymously so long as one had false or untraceable photo ID that would pass muster in this inspection.

      About a week later I received, by return delivery at my parents' address, the original letter I had mailed to myself without the ZIP code included. It was stamped "unclaimed," suggesting that it had, in fact, been waiting somewhere for me to pick up during that intervening time. My suspicion is that I had wrong information about the location of Austin's "main" post office. The USPS website suggests contacting one's local postmaster to determine this information.

      last modified 2008-01-28

      sean@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 19 9:39 PM
        Anything that the clerks know about mail will generally be about the commercial side of their quazi-goverment business. The small amount that I read about this explains how to get the mail once it arrives at the post office. There was nothing about setting anything up. It is just general call. you will have to Identify yourself and avoid talking about your place of habitation as it will only confuse those who do not study law and government. Use your passport; it does not have and address on it.

        You are probably correct! Just start a pilot project.

        Chico

        I am interested in establishing mail coming to me General Post Office (not a post office box) however I have had resistance to it by several clerks at a couple different locations. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it - or, do I just have senders start mailing to me at the GPO my city , state and zip?

        Robert

      • stonekutteral
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 19 10:16 PM
          You might try , mail something to yourself , care of, general delivery
          , yourtown , usa.... mail it with registered mail and delivery
          confirmation, then ask to pick up your mail or see if they deny you
          can get it.... ask them for their rules on getting mail sent general
          delivery, lots of people do it , you should be able to...
          On Aug 19, 2009, at 12:01 PM, rherdoiza wrote:

          > I am interested in establishing mail coming to me General Post Office
          > (not a post office box) however I have had resistance to it by several
          > clerks at a couple different locations. Anyone have any suggestions on
          > how to go about it - or, do I just have senders start mailing to me at
          > the GPO my city , state and zip?
          >
          > Robert

        • Virgil Cooper
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20 12:27 AM
            Hello, Robert and others on this list,

            I think you mean General Delivery.  All mail in the United States was delivered "General Delivery" prior to the Civil War.
            Post Civil War, the federal government began expanding its powers and services.  Sometime after the Civil War, delivery
            of mail began to be made to homes and businesses.  When the standard service was General Delivery, everyone went to
            the Post Office and inquired to see if any mail was being held for them.  The standard holding time is 30 days.  For General
            Delivery, you don't have to have an "account" or a P.O. Box in advance.  The bureaucrat clerk at the P.O. may not be familiar
            with General Delivery and may balk at your advising them that you wish to receive your mail by this alternative method.  You
            don't have to have their permission.  Nosy, snoopy, bureaucratically minded P.O. clerks think that because of "terrorism" they
            have to know everything about who you are and where you live and who else will receive mail at "your address", etc., ad nausium.
            Once you begin and regularly stop by to pick up any mail being held "General Delivery" for you, it will become routine and they
            will get used to it.  The legal and technical detail they don't like is that you would not be availing yourself of a federal privilege.
            Having a P.O. Box or having mail delivered to a Rural Route Box or to a home or business address is a regulated privilege.
            Several people in the Phoenix constitutional research group over the past years intentionally received their mail via General Delivery.
            It just isn't as convenient as having a P.O. Box or home or business delivery.  The comparison is having a bank account.  Government
            snoops can scan an area database of all bank signature cards when they are doing "skip tracing" -- looking for someone.  Same with
            Post Office P.O. Boxes and Rural Route and home and business address delivery.  All the information is available as a scan-able,
            searchable database.  Same as with Driver's Licenses.  It is all part of the federal program and Federal Reserve bank program called
            "know your customer".  General Delivery is NOT part of that program.  General Delivery goes all the way back to 1787 -- the founding
            of this country.   Just one additional note: The P.O. information is merged with the 911 database.  That's why the P.O. clerk asks so many
            questions.  General Delivery avoids that.  Your mail can be sent General Delivery to P.O. #1 this week, P.O. #2 next week, etc., randomly
            to other Post Offices located in your area and why you choose to receive your mail in this manner is none of their business.  Some people place a
            high value on their privacy.   That's HIGH VALUE on the privacy of their personal affairs, even the mail they receive.  About ten years ago,
            in Glendale (suburb of Phoenix) a lady ran a home-based private mail service with over one hundred customers.  The U.S.P.O. changed the rules
            regarding private mail forwarding services and required all of their customers to be identified.  Myself and many others in our group protested and
            refused to comply.  We represented the majority of her customers.  She also refused to comply and closed down her business and notified the U.S.P.O,
            that rather than divulge the information the P.O. wanted on her customers, she would go out of business, which she did.  General Delivery avoids
            these problems.

            Hope this is helpful information.

            Virgil
            Vernon, Arizona

          • enilak666@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20 6:45 AM

              Traditionally, anyone could have their mail sent to them c/o General Delivery at any certain post office. If the clerks are resistant to this, talk with their supervisor regarding current policy on General Delivery requirements.
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 20 11:14 AM
                READ the the Domestic Mail Manual [google it!] of U.S.P.S. [a private corporation]: ; follow it; and demand that THEY follow it as well.

              • Email41@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 20 11:32 AM
                  You may have to travel out of the way to establish a location in the general post-office. I have to travel 17 miles to another town to call for my mail matter at the general post-office.

                  Remeber free mail service was to make this convienent for everyone so that the would readily accept the benefit.
                • Susanne Waid
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 21 8:50 PM
                    I have several friends in Wyoming who receive their mail at a General Post Office address.  It's my understanding that all US post offices offer this option.  Talk to your postmaster & tell him/her that you want to set this up.  I don't think that they can refuse.  If you don't pick up the mail within 30 days, it is returned to the sender.

                    Susanne Waid