Fwd: us-supreme-court-threaten-speed-camera-industry

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2009
      This site covers a Supreme Court case about your right to confront your
      accuser. Can't cross examine a camera?

      >http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/us-supreme-court-threaten-speed-camera-industry/
    • E Junker
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
        The City of Albuquerque is getting away with it by calling it an "administrative action".  They are keeping it out of the court system.  As if...

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
          Monday 3 August 2009

          Pay particular attention to the FACT the most camera
          violations fall under adminstrative actions, or are
          civil, if not adminstrative.

          The supreme court rulings apply to CRIMINAL cases
          where the right to confront involves 6th Amendment
          issues.

          More pertinent to camera violations is knowledge of
          one's state's rules that pertain to evidence. One
          may find local remedy there for the rules of
          evidence are a function of due process rights, and
          one can argue violation of due process rights which
          are covered in State constitutions...
        • stonekutteral
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
            In court one time on photo ticket charges, the defendant, who had NO
            notification of the proceedings (Charge was sprung when defendant
            showed for another issue) ,defendant asked the judge, "Who is this guy
            bringing this evidence against me?,is he a lawyer, what's his bar
            association number" ,(the guy with the laptop computer, showing what
            was allegedly a film of defendant running red light)... the "judge"
            (who was just a commissioner) went ballistic, yelling"shut up, shut up
            now or I will put you in jail"..... guess the defendant touched a sore
            spot, had he known how to bring the "judge" to heel he could have "won"
            that... as it was he never paid and was never contacted again about
            it.... and on the subject of tickets, I think someone here posted a
            letter from Leo DeCaprios lawyers telling someone they had better cease
            and desist using Leo's image for their commecial gain, as Leo had
            ownership rights in his image... works for him, must work for us. Photo
            ticket companys cannot use my image for their commercial gain. Cheers!