IRC 3.7 Million Words in Length

  • legalbear7
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 4:43 AM
      From DWissel's Post:

      "The Code has grown so long that it has become challenging even to figure out how long it is. A search of the Code conducted in the course of preparing this report turned up 3.7 million words."

      I get excited whenever I get to break out the calculator on my computer. Before I took a speed reading course in college, I read at the breakneck speed of 400 words a minute. To read 3.7 million words in a novel at 400 words a minute would take 9250 minutes or 154 hours. If we spent 3 hours a day reading code, it would take 51 days to get through it. Most of us can't spend 3 hours a day reading code so we better lower that down to 1 hour a day, in hopes of being realistic; now it takes 153 days to read it from end to end. But, this is code, so, 400 words a minute may be optimistic due to the circular nature of the code and the numerous references to other sections, maybe 200 words a minute is more realistic. After making that adjustment, now it is taking 306 days to read it from end to end with an attempt at comprehension. I was a phsych major in college and one of the things we studied was the diminishing effects of memory; as time passes the amount we remember diminishes. From college, I remember a graph showing the decline of memory retention in time as depicted here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgetting_curve  The forgetting curve depicted at this site shows that humans tend to halve their memory of newly learned knowledge in a matter of days or weeks unless they consciously review the learned material. As I recall, this forgetting curve gets even steeper, as the memories experience interference by such things as living life and trying to remember other things. What this graph is depicting is that if we merely read the Code at 200 words a minute for 306 days, by the time we get to the end, we won't remember what we read at the beginning.

      And then, throw on top of this, the principles of statutory construction; and, our dual system of government; and, the principles of Constitutional interpretation; and, judicial activism and I arrive at the conclusion that those who say we must obey every ordinance of man have no clue about what they speak.

      Further, the Code being 3.7 million words in length could be put on as a legitimate defense in a criminal case of tax evasion or willful failure to file because of the maxim of law that the law cannot require the impossible.

    • GregE E