Atty Client Contract?

  • mn_chicago
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
      Tuesday 30 June 2009

      Someone is being sued by Mortgage Electronic
      Registration System [MERS] over a construction
      loan, but MERS is not a party of interest. It is
      suspected that the atty is using MERS without MERS'
      or original lender's knowledge to cover some
      insurance fraud.

      Point: Is there a way to make an atty prove he
      has a contracted relationship with client?

      TIA.
    • Email41@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
        Point:  Is there a way to make an atty prove he has a contracted relationship with client?

        Sure, sue for "Order to Show Cause." Have him explain how he became a party to your contract with MERS.

        **************
        Make your summer sizzle with fast and easy recipes for the grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000005)
      • tthor.geo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          One OBVIOUS way is to contact MERS and ASK them [usually, businesses KNOW when they have hired somebody and there is a paper-trail].

          "mn_chicago" <mn_chicago@...> wrote:

          > Tuesday 30 June 2009
          >
          > Someone is being sued by Mortgage Electronic
          > Registration System [MERS] over a construction
          > loan, but MERS is not a party of interest. It is
          > suspected that the atty is using MERS without MERS'
          > or original lender's knowledge to cover some
          > insurance fraud.
          >
          > Point: Is there a way to make an atty prove he
          > has a contracted relationship with client?
        • donotddora
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
            --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "mn_chicago" <mn_chicago@...> wrote:

            > Tuesday 30 June 2009
            >
            > Someone is being sued by Mortgage Electronic
            > Registration System [MERS] over a construction
            > loan, but MERS is not a party of interest. It is
            > suspected that the atty is using MERS without MERS'
            > or original lender's knowledge to cover some
            > insurance fraud.
            >
            > Point: Is there a way to make an atty prove he
            > has a contracted relationship with client?
            >
            > TIA.

            Ask the judge if the attorney has placed in evidence a Letter of Attorney showing that he (personally, in his own name, not just his law firm!), is authorized to represent MERS in the present matter.

            It would be a fraud on the court to represent a person absent such authority, yes?

            Some officer of the corporation (MERS) with authority to authorize such, must have a signature on that letter.

            ~donotddora
          • mn_chicago
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
              Wednesday 1 July 2009

              Thank you for the responses. I thought there was
              some form that attorneys had to follow and was not
              sure what it was.

              The thought about contacting MERS struck me today,
              and that will get done tomorrow.

              Cheers, all!