Credit Reporting Agencies Can Not Verify IRS Liens?

  • Tiberius Pontificus
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2009
      Has anyone seen this?   http://sedm.org/Exhibits/EX1076.pdf

      In a nutshell, it reads that third parties, including credit reporting agencies, cannot verify any information about a "Notice of Tax Lien," including even its existence, without permission from the "taxpayer."

      If this is correct, then it would mean that Equifax, TRW, et. al. listing of "liens" or notices thereof on one's credit report are fraud.  To me this points to an easy way to get these agencies to remove these listings.

    • Patrick M
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Since Notices of Tax Lien are filed with the COUNTY RECORDER & are a matter
        of PUBLIC RECORD, it appears to me that they COULD VERIFY their EXISTENCE &
        the information contained on them (which may or may not be correct).

        Here's a page from the Alameda County Recorder where you can look up the
        information online.

        Official Public Records (OPR) consist of all publicly accessible documents
        recorded by this office and may include deeds, mortgage documents,
        easements, power of attorney, liens and any other documents which affect
        title to or possession of real property.

        Index from 1/1/1969 to present.

        http://rechart1.acgov.org/localization/menu.asp

        Patrick in California

        "It ain't what ya don't know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya
        is what ya knows for sure, that just ain't so." -- Uncle Remus