Re: [tips_and_tricks] Liens

  • BOB GREGORY
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2009
      A big thanks to Virgil for a very well written and scholarly post.  That is quite refreshing.

      Certainly I agree with Jefferson that the basic rights of people are foundational and
      should be UNALIENABLE.  But throughout the history of the world virtually every nation,
      without exception, has started out or ended up denying those basic rights to its people.

      A shockproof watch is only shockproof until a big enough shock comes along.  Bulletproof
      glass is only bulletproof until a big enough bullet comes along.  And rights are unalienable
      only until a big enough bad actor or group of bad actors comes along to take them away.
      Just look what happens when some cocky hotshot cop or sheriff's deputy decides he
      doesn't like your looks or something you said.  Or see what happens if someone is in the
      custody of the FEDS and they don't want him to see the light of day for a while.  All the
      habeas corpus writs you can draft won't do any good if you can't find him because he's
      being shuttled around in the system.

      The most significant reason that we enjoy some measure of freedom is that it comforts
      people to believe they are free.  The actual degree of freedom enjoyed by Americans has
      steadily declined over the past two hundred years, but the propaganda machine has steadily
      told them they they are free and live in the best country in the world.   As Goethe wrote, "
      None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."

      And a time is upon us now when we should all know and heed something Frank Zappa said:

      "The illusion of freedom [in America] will continue as long as it’s profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."

      On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:59 AM, <ultrac21@...> wrote:

      Hello Al Cintra-Leite and others on this list,

      Regarding "unalienable" vs. "inalienable".

      A few years ago I was perusing an American History college text. In the section on Thomas Jefferson, some historical background on the Declaration of Independence was given.

      In the 1880s and 1890s a dispute arose between legal history researchers and literary history researchers as to which word Thomas Jefferson intended, "inalienable" or "unalienable"?