IRS Problems, They want what I don't have, lots of money

  • escalade1963nov
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 23, 2009
      Will try and make this as short as possible. I am on Long Term Disability dut to Chronic Pain and take tons of pain meds a day. I was have been on LTD for 7 years. I was told at the beginning that since I paid the premiums the benefits were not taxable. Well, 73% of them were. Now I owe the IRS $65000. I simply don't have it, don't even have enough to get prescriptions filled.

      They have already filed a LIEN on my credit report but haven't taken anything yet. I received a letter today stating something about a LIEN and LEVY. Had I filed taxes I wouldn't have owed 1/4 of that amount. But being in chronic pain and practically doped up daily I don't have the energy not will to deal with this right now. This is probably one of the worst times in my life. Another long story.

      In 10 months I get a raise in my LTD that would allow me to make considerable payments to them. I agreed to pay what ever just to get them off my back, only problem is they want it NOW. If they take my income I am screwed. My body is that of an 80 year old and I am tired. Honestly this is about to push me over the edge. I probably would have already jumped but my life insurance is not valid until May this year. And they may not think I am serious, but I am.....

      What can I do? What will they offer? Does anyone have any recommendations for me. I can't go back and find receipts for medical bills ets. I have moved on average every 9 month for the past 21 years. But my last job was good and I had a good income as well. But currently I am simply broke...

      Thanks for any advice.....

      Mark
    • Charles Robinson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2009
        Mark,.
            You have nothing to worry about: The IRS can not and will not take something you do not have. They must allow you enough income reguardless to liive on. If you have proof of your medical condition, receipts etc.. you just need to go back and file for all those years you didn't  file and get into complance, they may even owe you money. They are many ways to fight IRS, but most of what you see on the enternet is B.S., in your case you want to win the battle not the war. When you file just state that since your income was for disability you thought you didn't need to file, because you had no taxable income.
             I spent years fighting with the IRS, but if you are not rich and cann't afford good lawyers
        you are going to lose. In my case I owed a lot more, but once I said you win and filed back years and proved that the income i get is what it takes to live on, they left me alone. Don't worry about things you cann't control, just live your life the best you can and donn't fight a war, when you only need to win the battle........................Chuck

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2009
          Mark

          Go to legal aid, file your back returns best you can with the information you can, try an offer in comprimise (if you owe anything at all)........and get some rest and QUIT worrrying about it.

          I owe currently over $300,000 (according to them) and ahaven'e files for 5 years.

          You don't need to worry about your situation. They will work with you.

          Mark

          To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
          From: escalade1963nov@...
          Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:23:25 +0000

          Will try and make this as short as possible. I am on Long Term Disability dut to Chronic Pain and take tons of pain meds a day. I was have been on LTD for 7 years. I was told at the beginning that since I paid the premiums the benefits were not taxable. Well, 73% of them were. Now I owe the IRS $65000. I simply don't have it, don't even have enough to get prescriptions filled.
        • Robert Stephens
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25, 2009
            Mark:

            If you allegedly owe more than $25,000. to the IRS and cannot make the payments you can file a Form 433-F (Collection Information Statement).

            The IRS was taking 100% of my SS benefits leaving nothing but a small pension to live on. My expenses were exceeding my income so by filing this form the IRS (graciously) adjusted my SS benefits to one third of the total.

            The big drawback here is you have to bare your financial soul to these goons so you may not want to follow this course but it is one path to follow.

            To: tips_and_tricks@ yahoogroups. com
            From: escalade1963nov@ yahoo.com
            Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:23:25 +0000

            Will try and make this as short as possible. I am on Long Term Disability dut to Chronic Pain and take tons of pain meds a day. I was have been on LTD for 7 years. I was told at the beginning that since I paid the premiums the benefits were not taxable. Well, 73% of them were. Now I owe the IRS $65000. I simply don't have it, don't even have enough to get prescriptions filled.

          • BOB GREGORY

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 26, 2009
                Do a search for IRS form 982.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 26, 2009
                  Form 982 is used to ask not to be taxed on forgiven debts.  It has nothing to do with someone already being levied excessively.

                  On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 3:14 AM, Levi Philos <leviphilos@...> wrote:

                  Do a search for IRS form 982.

                  BOB GREGORY wrote:

                  By law, the maximum that can be levied from Social Security if 15%, but the IRS finagles its way around that.  Has anyone seen any info about a lawsuit on this subject?

                • rshaw3377
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2009
                    I haven't heard anyone suggesting Bankruptcy to Mark. Title 11 Section 362 provides an "Automatic Stay." Filing should be under Section 301 usually Chapter 13. Legal help is needed to obtain an emergency stay from IRS enforcement of any levy, or any act to obtain possession of property...,any act to create, or perfect any lien against property..., any act to collect, assess or recover a claim against debtor..etc.

                    The truth is the IRS hates BK. If you don't have money, nor the time to get the retuns together--get an automatic stay. We must learn to use their laws against them. If it works for the bankers and Crysler Corp--why not you--me? Limited liability is the game.

                    Need help with your returns, email me.

                    Rose

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2009
                      *I concur. I considered this as a recommendation a couple of weeks ago. If
                      there is no significant personal downside, bankruptcy would be a good
                      option. *

                      On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM, rshaw3377 <rose@...> wrote:

                      > I haven't heard anyone suggesting Bankruptcy to Mark. Title 11 Section 362
                      > provides an "Automatic Stay." Filing should be under Section 301 usually
                      > Chapter 13.
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2009

                        There is very little need for the written-law “federal” aspects of bankruptcy. There is no salvation in nearly any court…least of which “federal” courts. Unless the person was in such dire need as to offer no other option, I would not “pray” for salvation from some federal cross-dresser in a black-robe.

                        The feds tried to do what all law tries to do ….to the detriment of people. Namely they tried to quantify bankruptcy. They tried to put a “measure” on bankruptcy. Just like inalienable rights, it can’t be measured properly by any court. When are you bankrupt? The minute you can’t pay a legal obligation. It doesn’t matter that in 2 minutes someone pays you so now you could pay who you owed….it doesn’t matter in 3 months that you win the lottery. Unless you can make ARRANGEMENTS AT THAT POINT IN TIME to renegotiate, technically you are bankrupt. More importantly what can be collected? Exactly the assets you own at that point in time linked only to a valid debt. Unless you agree otherwise and volunteer [for the full term], you can’t be held for future earnings….that’s involuntary servitude.

                        Do what Legal Bear would do….scriptural bankruptcy.

                        *I concur. I considered this as a recommendation a couple of weeks ago. If
                        there is no significant personal downside, bankruptcy would be a good
                        option. *

                        On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM, rshaw3377 <rose@...> wrote:

                        > I haven't heard anyone suggesting Bankruptcy to Mark. Title 11 Section 362
                        > provides an "Automatic Stay." Filing should be under Section 301
                        usually
                        > Chapter 13.

                      • dave
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                          Under 301, it's still viewed as a petition and an order for relief. Not only
                          that, but it's understood you are in the United States.

                          Can you illuminate more on your thought process? For example: You file under
                          301. What do you anticipate or what in your experience happens next
                          understanding of course you get the stay?