Re: off the radar

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2009
      Recently received from another tips & tricks reader:

      > Hi FF-
      > It is good to hear from another artist.
      > I want to get off the radar myself. I
      > recently was asked to show some work in
      > a gallery in DC, and was dismayed when I
      > delivered the artwork to find that they
      > wanted me to fill out a form that will
      > get me a 1099-misc upon sale of any pieces.
      >
      > Do you get around this by cutting out the
      > middle man?
      > Thanks a lot for any comments, FF -

      I point out that I don't submit to interrogation for free off the lists,
      so I answer this here keeping the identity of the sender anonymous, but
      allowing others to share in the information or question, as they might
      want to comment. What got me to post on the list was that last leading
      question. It's like, "Are you still beating your wife?"

      I won't go to D.C., or Guam or Puerto Rico. I have no "business
      effectively connected" to D.C. There's nothing for me to "get around";
      I cannot cause people to do things or prevent people from doing things.
      I cannot help it if other people make false statements or mistaken legal
      conclusions.

      I guess if I DID want to show my artwork, because somebody asked me to
      do it, I might have asked if my signature would be necessary for any
      reason, told them that autographs are $100 each payable in advance in
      current gold coin and ask if there had been enough gold and silver
      allocated to pay me for my trouble. Also, I'd choose to use the
      constitutional monetary system (as recently recognized in the recent
      Kahre case: United States v. Kahre, 2007-2 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) paragr.
      50,548 (D. Nev. 2007) to conduct sales of my property, and therefore
      could not permit any debt (equity jurisdiction) to be created in
      connection with such sales. "Cash (gold or silver) on the barrelhead"
      (common law sale) would be the way to conduct the sale. But I'd have to
      know that there is no right to conduct business in D.C. and I avoid
      putting myself in situations where I have no rights.