A Valid IRS Lien

  • John H.
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008
      The IRS just placed a "general" lien on my property. Section 6223 indicates that the lien, in order to be valid, must state "the property and its location." The lien that was filed on my property is not specific to property or location. It states: "there is a lien in favor of the United States on all property and rights to property belonging to....."

      Has anyone ever used this lack of specificity effectively as an argument to relive a lien?

                                   Thanks,  John
      _,___
    • mn_chicago
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008
        --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "John H." <otoman@...> wrote:

        > The IRS just placed a "general" lien on my property. Section 6223
        indicates that the lien, in order to be valid, must state "the
        property and its location." The lien that was filed on my property is
        not specific to property or location. It states: "there is a lien in
        favor of the United States on all property and rights to property
        belonging to....."

        > Has anyone ever used this lack of specificity effectively as an
        argument to relive a lien?

        Have you demanded of the Clerk where the lien
        has been filed to see a copy of the lien front
        and back to ensure that the lien has been
        lawfully levied?
      • Jake
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2008
          > Here's my challenge, As a Realtor, my business has ground to a halt and I need to find employment without jumping back into the system. I'm open to all suggestions.

          1st, a mindset change - "employment" means "system" - working under the authority & control of someone else, who undoubtdedly is in the system & will require things such as a W-4 to put you in it too.

          2nd, what do you know how to do?  Do you have a skill or trade you can earn a living with as an independent contractor?  Do you have or could you establish an unincorporated business trust, an S corp. if there's substantial $$$ involved, etc. to work thru?  So the entity gets paid instead of you?

          3rd, are you using a home address for mail?  You said you've got out of the system in '91 but you still get nastygrams - why is that?  I've been out of the system about that long, I haven't received anything from any Gov't. agency since about '93 & have used a P.O. Box for longer than that.

          Going out on your own requires a lot of planning & preparation & there's way too much to cover in an e-mail, but it certainly can be done.  If you're stuck in a situation that you have to work as an employee for whatever reason, there will be forms generated & that's what "the system" goes by.  I've said this before 100 times - like the computer saying, "garbage in, garbage out", there's "nothing in, nothing out", but as long as there are W-2's, 1099's, etc. being generated with a SSN tied to you on them, you will get "nastygrams" & the Gov't. can follow you around like Hansel & Gretle.

          Same is true if you insist on using credit cards, debit cards, ATM cards, etc.  I have this funny little rule - if I can't afford it with the cash in my pocket I don't buy it.  Never had a mortgage or a major credit card in my life & wouldn't get either with a gun to my head.  If you can do without all that garbage & have a skill or trade that there's a demand for, you're in good shape.

          ~ ~ ~