Re: traffic ticket questions

  • Carl Stewart
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
      We've had a ton of court cases dismissed here in Florida on the
      following basis:

      All radar and other electronic speed measuring devices use computers
      of various sizes and configurations to make the calculations. All
      computers use computer code, created by a programmer. In America,
      for the most part, we still have the right to face our accusers and
      question them, even if our accuser is ultimately a computer code.
      From another point of view, the state or municipality who is your
      accuser is using evidence based on this computer code. You have the
      right to examine this evidence and make sure there are no errors in
      it. Or, you can hire your own computer programmer to examine it.
      The problem is that this code then becomes part of the public record,
      and anyone can then access that code and manufacture a speed
      measuring device of their own using that code or a derivative. The
      manufacturers aren't about to allow that to happen, and none of them
      have given up their code. Thus, case dismissed. That's the first
      defense I'd raise, but I'd also make sure every T is crossed and
      every i dotted by making sure the unit was calibrated, it was working
      perfectly, it's accurate with legal tolerances (none of them are 100%
      accurate - they all have certain variances), etc.

      I've even had it happen more than once that the officer didn't show
      up for the hearing. Case dismissed. If they're going to cite us for
      disobeying the law, then it behooves us to make sure they're doing
      the same. In the vast majority of cases, they're not. They're
      hoping you don't know that. They're counting on their ability to
      intimidate and on your ignorance of the law.

      C. S.

      --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Fleischner" <gmf@...>
      wrote:

      > Request a copy of the officer's notes, and proof of his training in
      LIDAR.

      > > I was stopped for allegedly speeding on the Massachusetts
      Turnpike and
      > > was cited for going an ESTIMATED 86mph in a 65mph zone. The
      officer
      > > was/is trained in LIDAR and this is noted on the ticket. There
      were 3
      > > other people in the car with me who knew I was only going 70mph.
      I am