Re: traffic ticket questions

  • David Toppin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008

      You should read all the stuff at www.motorists.org/ma  and you will learn much about beating tickets in MA.  You will go in front of a magistrate first, and they generally  will find you responsible.  Then you pay 20 bucks or so and appeal it ot the court.  There you will get to question the court.  I usually make a motion to continue when I get to the court to get more time to find something from MAssHighway, etc.  The cops may not respond to your FOIA request properly either.  Make sure you ask for whatever notes he will use in court, and then object when he tries to use them.  "Witness should have independent recollection of the incident"    Email me directly if you want some more stuff.  Like copies of letters for the requests and such…

      David Toppin

    • Carl Stewart
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
        We've had a ton of court cases dismissed here in Florida on the
        following basis:

        All radar and other electronic speed measuring devices use computers
        of various sizes and configurations to make the calculations. All
        computers use computer code, created by a programmer. In America,
        for the most part, we still have the right to face our accusers and
        question them, even if our accuser is ultimately a computer code.
        From another point of view, the state or municipality who is your
        accuser is using evidence based on this computer code. You have the
        right to examine this evidence and make sure there are no errors in
        it. Or, you can hire your own computer programmer to examine it.
        The problem is that this code then becomes part of the public record,
        and anyone can then access that code and manufacture a speed
        measuring device of their own using that code or a derivative. The
        manufacturers aren't about to allow that to happen, and none of them
        have given up their code. Thus, case dismissed. That's the first
        defense I'd raise, but I'd also make sure every T is crossed and
        every i dotted by making sure the unit was calibrated, it was working
        perfectly, it's accurate with legal tolerances (none of them are 100%
        accurate - they all have certain variances), etc.

        I've even had it happen more than once that the officer didn't show
        up for the hearing. Case dismissed. If they're going to cite us for
        disobeying the law, then it behooves us to make sure they're doing
        the same. In the vast majority of cases, they're not. They're
        hoping you don't know that. They're counting on their ability to
        intimidate and on your ignorance of the law.

        C. S.

        --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Fleischner" <gmf@...>
        wrote:

        > Request a copy of the officer's notes, and proof of his training in
        LIDAR.

        > > I was stopped for allegedly speeding on the Massachusetts
        Turnpike and
        > > was cited for going an ESTIMATED 86mph in a 65mph zone. The
        officer
        > > was/is trained in LIDAR and this is noted on the ticket. There
        were 3
        > > other people in the car with me who knew I was only going 70mph.
        I am