local bar sues church

  • Jim Stiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008

      ---Can a congregation be liable for prayers answered?

       Local Bar Sues Local Church
       **-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**-**
       In a small Texas town, a new bar/tavern

      started construction of a building to house

      their business. The local Baptist church

      started a campaign to block the bar from

      opening, with petitions and prayers. Work

      progressed, however right up till the week

      before opening, when a lightning strike

       hit the bar and it burned to the ground.

      The church folks were rather smug in
       their outlook after that, until the bar owner

      sued the church on the grounds that the

      church was ultimately responsible for the

      demise of his building, either through direct

      or indirect actions or means.
       The church vehemently denied all responsibility

       or any connection to the buildings demise

      in its reply to the court.

      As the case made its way in to court, the

      judge looked over the paperwork. At the

      hearing he commented, 'I don't know how

      I'm going to decide this, but as it appears

      from the paperwork, we have a bar owner

      who believes in the power of prayer, and

      an entire church congregation that does not.
      Jiminopks