RE: [tips_and_tricks] "Living Document" Constitution

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
      Virgil Cooper wrote:

      > There has been a long-term running battle between
      > those who understand the U.S. Constitution as being
      > grounded in "Original Intent" of the Founders
      > vs. those who view the Constitution as a "Living
      > Document" subject to alteration and modification
      > according to the changing times.

      I can accept the changes if done according to the rules. If they do not
      care enough to do it right, then it didn't get done, no matter how many
      wish it had been. I can explain how the 14th, 16th and 17th never
      really got done. For me, they are not "amendments" but wishful thinking
      on the part of some people. Some people gloss over rule violations when
      it suits them. Would they like to trade, mine for theirs?

      I live in a special place. Nobody wants to rock the boat.

    • BOB GREGORY
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
        The ending "ment" on the word government is similar to or related to "ing."  The endings "ent" (or minor variants) in French and "ando" in Spanish have been adopted with certain words in English.  The French word for government is "gouvernement."

        Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

        -ment

        -ment\, [F. -ment, L. -mentum.] A suffix denoting that which does a thing; an act or process; the result of an act or process; state or condition; as, aliment, that which nourishes, ornament, increment; fragment, piece broken, segment; abridgment, act of abridging, imprisonment, movement, adjournment; amazement, state of being amazed, astonishment. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

        pingmyemail wrote:

        For all to consider:

        De constructing the word "Government"

        govern; a: to control, direct, or strongly influence the actions and
        conduct of b: to exert a determining or guiding influence in or over.