Oath and Bond of public officials

  • jjmozingo2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6 1:09 PM
      I am trying to get a copy of the oath and bond for various public
      officials in my state like the Governor, AG, Comptroller and Treasurer.

      The Secretary of State - Deputy Administrator in the Division of State
      Documents, is trying to tell me that her interpretation of the
      Constitution section regarding bonds is that a bond may be required.

      It is my understanding the a bond is required, the prescription of
      which may be per certain General Assembly acts.

      Any thoughts?

      Maryland Constitution

      ARTICLE VI
      The Comptroller and the Treasurer shall keep their offices at the seat
      of government, and shall take such oaths and enter into such bonds for
      the faithful discharge of their duties as are now or may hereafter be
      prescribed by law (amended by Chapter 141, Acts of 1922, ratified Nov.
      7, 1922; Chapter 428, Acts of 1966, ratified Nov. 8, 1966; Chapter
      640, Acts of 1976, ratified Nov. 2, 1976; Chapter 681, Acts of 1977,
      ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

      The Constitution doesn't specifically mention the Governor or the AG
      but does make reference to State's Attorneys. I am having a hard time
      finding a Maryland code section online that gives the guide lines for
      the bonding of the Governor and AG.

      SEC. 12. The State's Attorney in each county, and the City of
      Baltimore, shall have authority to collect, and give receipt, in the
      name of the State, for such sums of money as may be collected by him,
      and forthwith make return of and pay over the same to the proper
      accounting officer. And the State's Attorney of each county, and the
      City of Baltimore, before he shall enter on the discharge of his
      duties, and from time to time thereafter, shall give such corporate
      surety bond as may hereafter be prescribed by Act of the General
      Assembly (amended by Chapter 529, Acts of 1945, ratified Nov. 5, 1946).
    • tthor.geo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 2:07 PM
        My responses inter-linear [indicated as >>>].

        <jjmozingo@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to get a copy of the oath and bond for various public
        > officials in my state like the Governor, AG, Comptroller and
        Treasurer.

        > The Secretary of State - Deputy Administrator in the Division of
        State
        > Documents, is trying to tell me that her interpretation of the
        > Constitution section regarding bonds is that a bond may be
        required.

        > It is my understanding the a bond is required, the prescription of
        > which may be per certain General Assembly acts.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Maryland Constitution
        >
        > ARTICLE VI
        > The Comptroller and the Treasurer shall keep their offices at the
        seat
        > of government, and shall take such oaths and enter into such bonds
        for
        > the faithful discharge of their duties as are now or may hereafter
        be
        > prescribed by law (amended by Chapter 141, Acts of 1922, ratified
        Nov.
        > 7, 1922; Chapter 428, Acts of 1966, ratified Nov. 8, 1966; Chapter
        > 640, Acts of 1976, ratified Nov. 2, 1976; Chapter 681, Acts of
        1977,
        > ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

        >>> This means that, unless the Legislature [General Assembly?] has
        passed legislation requiring a bond, the Comptroller and Treasurer
        don't have to have one.

        >>> Also, see what Oath and Bond were required prior to 1922 [this
        will require reserch in OLD Statutes and Codes, probably on-the-
        shelf bound volumes, most-likely in a Law Library somewhere].

        > The Constitution doesn't specifically mention the Governor or the
        AG
        > but does make reference to State's Attorneys. I am having a hard
        time
        > finding a Maryland code section online that gives the guide lines
        for
        > the bonding of the Governor and AG.
        >

        > SEC. 12. The State's Attorney in each county, and the City of
        > Baltimore, shall have authority to collect, and give receipt, in
        the
        > name of the State, for such sums of money as may be collected by
        him,
        > and forthwith make return of and pay over the same to the proper
        > accounting officer. And the State's Attorney of each county, and
        the
        > City of Baltimore, before he shall enter on the discharge of his
        > duties, and from time to time thereafter, shall give such corporate
        > surety bond as may hereafter be prescribed by Act of the General
        > Assembly (amended by Chapter 529, Acts of 1945, ratified Nov. 5,
        1946).

        >>> This also means the the Legislature [General Assembly] must pass
        legislation requiring a bond.

        >>> Again, find out what bond was required prior to 1945.

        >>> And, if you're going to cite a Code setion, you need to cite
        what Code the section came from [so we can follow what you're
        talking about...]
      • bobert111@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 2:37 PM
          Look in the Maryland Government Code also. Just a thought, Robert
          Click to get free info on remodeling your kitchen.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iiew7HswDjFyojrrf9Nd8g7ppm71ZqeiLjx236aAUxEIYUjlZ/
        • jjmozingo2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9 3:05 PM
            Thanks for the help guys.

            I finally had some time to do a little more digging. I found out why
            the Administrator couldn't give me a copy of the surety bond from the
            Secretary of State's office, because the bond is at the Court of
            Appeals. However, she is still apparently ignorant to the
            "requirement" of the bond. Maybe I should send her an email and
            enlighten her.

            § 4-102. Surety bond.

            (a) Required.- While in office, the Comptroller shall be covered by a
            surety bond as required in this section.

            (b) Form and conditions.- The surety bond of the Comptroller shall:

            (1) run to the State;

            (2) be in the amount of $200,000;

            (3) be with surety that the Governor approves; and

            (4) be conditioned on the Comptroller:

            (i) accounting for the funds that are received under color of office; and

            (ii) otherwise discharging faithfully each duty of office.

            (c) Filing.- After execution and approval of a surety bond under this
            section, the surety bond shall be recorded in the office of the Clerk
            of the Court of Appeals.

            [An. Code 1957, art. 19, § 2; 1984, ch. 284, § 1.]

            --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "bobert111@..."