Quaker teacher fired for changing loyalty oath

  • Randy Conn
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 7:42 PM
      California State University East Bay has fired a math teacher after
      six weeks on the job because she inserted the word "nonviolently" in
      her state-required Oath of Allegiance form.

      Marianne Kearney-Brown, a Quaker and graduate student who began
      teaching remedial math to undergrads Jan. 7, lost her $700-a-month
      part-time job after refusing to sign an 87-word Oath of Allegiance to
      the Constitution that the state requires of elected officials and
      public employees.

      The rest is at:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/29/BAQPVAUVO.DTL&tsp=1
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 9:21 PM
        Randy Conn told us about:

        > Marianne Kearney-Brown, a Quaker and graduate student who began
        > teaching remedial math to undergrads Jan. 7, lost her $700-a-month
        > part-time job after refusing to sign an 87-word Oath of Allegiance to
        > the Constitution that the state requires of elected officials and
        > public employees.

        Too bad that nobody reads anymore. Here, people who never take the
        required oath (more than 87 words) at all pulled a fast one on somebody
        with the guts to amend it and then take it. Too bad she didn't think
        fast on her feet and require it from those claiming the authority to
        fire her. We've been looking for ANYONE who has taken the required oath
        UNAMENDED. Turn-about is fair play, eh? It sounds like the remedial
        math teacher needs a course in remedial logic and common sense. I'll
        bet she never thought to check the oaths of those acting against her.

        Maybe she thinks it's somebody's job to do that for her.

        Too bad...