Illinois- Pro Se- Continuance- Narcotic Use

  • Diancecht
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2008
      Ok, I am poor, not a lot of money and I am a dad trying to operate in
      one of the worst circuits in Illinois.

      I have several questions regarding continuances and court cases etc.

      The particular situation is that I had filed a show cause on my ex but
      several days before I had a tooth break that was apparently already
      infected and I was put on a narcotic, vicu-profin, and I am one of the
      14% that has problems functioning under that narcotic, or any others for
      that matter.

      The judge cited in court that he was denying my request for a
      continuance because he had functioned repeatedly as a judge and as an
      attorney while under this medication.

      He has already in the past disregarded Illinois law regarding the
      amounts set for child support, dismissed several show causes because she
      "obviously didn't understand the law" (she has an attorney).

      The man seems to have a total disregard for Illinois law and later when
      I said I couldn't understand him and was in the start of a panic attack
      (drug reaction) that resulted in me being carried out of the courthouse
      by paramedics he fined me 100 dollars for contempt of court.

      However there was one other thing that upset me as I was having the
      attack, the attorney for the other side asked the judge to make a
      decision based on how long they had known each other, this judge and the
      attorney's wife both serve on several boards together, if the attorney
      feels comfortable enough to ask the judge to serve as a character
      witness isn't that a conflict of interest?

      If anyone knows any case law it would be appreciated I have tried to do
      some researc on these topics on Lexis Nexus but quite honestly I believe
      that I am approaching this from the wrong direction and as such I am of
      the opinion that much of the research I have found in this particular
      matter is relatively worthless.

      Thanks

      James
    • Don Schwarz
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2008
        The court lost jurisdiction when the judge
        made you appear under medication.

        Get to a reference law library at a college
        or county law library.

        Any reasonable request for a continuance
        made 24 hours ahead of time to all parties
        must be allowed.

        Check your court rules for continuances.

        Are there any local divorced Dads organizations
        to contact for help with this problem?

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2008
          Diancecht wrote:

          > The judge cited in court that he was denying my request for a
          > continuance because he had functioned repeatedly as a judge and as an
          > attorney while under this medication.

          You need a doctor as an expert witness.

          > He has already in the past disregarded Illinois law regarding the
          > amounts set for child support, dismissed several show causes because
          > she "obviously didn't understand the law" (she has an attorney).

          And how did you react, with appeals and writs? We have a whole state
          full of people out here who don't understand the law, but that seldom is
          helpful to them. Maybe I overlooked some of Illinois' good points when
          I decided to leave for good. Imagine if some day comes when NOBODY in
          Illinois understands the law!! Wow! It'll be like California - GAME
          OVER! It may not be long before most states realize it's over for them
          as well. The people putting the NAU together are pretty confident
          that's the way of the future too. When they take away the FRNs, will
          you work and give property for Ameros? Not me!

          > The man seems to have a total disregard for Illinois law and later
          > when
          > I said I couldn't understand him and was in the start of a panic
          > attack
          > (drug reaction) that resulted in me being carried out of the
          > courthouse
          > by paramedics he fined me 100 dollars for contempt of court.

          At least you need a note from a doctor for that trial. How come when
          you don't understand it doesn't work the same way??

          > However there was one other thing that upset me as I was having the
          > attack, the attorney for the other side asked the judge to make a
          > decision based on how long they had known each other, this judge and
          > the
          > attorney's wife both serve on several boards together, if the attorney
          > feels comfortable enough to ask the judge to serve as a character
          > witness isn't that a conflict of interest?

          Yes, but then one has to ask, when is the best time to disqualify judges
          and attorneys? Is it BEFORE or AFTER they act against our best
          interests? I believe it is BEFORE they can act officially, so as a
          matter of course, I try to disqualify all warm-bodied human beings who
          speak in any case in which I become involuntarily embroiled. I don't
          know how to do that in Illinois, but I'm sure there has to be a process.
          Maybe a keyword search using "disqualification", "peremptory challenge",
          "challenge for cause", "conflict of interest", "practicing law without a
          license", "ethics violation", etc. might turn up useful info for you.

          > If anyone knows any case law it would be appreciated I have tried to
          > do
          > some researc on these topics on Lexis Nexus but quite honestly I
          > believe
          > that I am approaching this from the wrong direction and as such I am
          > of
          > the opinion that much of the research I have found in this particular
          > matter is relatively worthless.

          In my experience, case law and statutes and even constitutions are not
          enough to stop abuses against today's victims of government by today's
          criminal in-fill-traitors, because they will say you always had remedies
          that you either waived or can take advantage of in the future if you
          don't like what they are doing to you today. You cannot expect mercy
          from enemies. I think what might be more valuable than cases and laws
          would be a self-assertiveness class or martial arts or something that
          will get you to voice strenuous objections earlier and more often.
          Court fights are fights for sure. You get nowhere being nice anymore.

          Soon any kids you have will be adults and you will be able to fill them
          in on how their lives got screwed up and how to avoid it for their kids.
          Most troubles can be traced back to lies "everyone" believes, and the
          Lemming Principle, where people act in ways they do just because they
          see others do it. This includes joining the military, marriage
          licenses, income taxes, driver's licenses, using Fed debt and credit,
          etc. etc. ad nauseum.