Reuters & Wash. Post -- FBI aims for world's largest biometrics database

  • Virgil Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2007

      Hello to those on the Tips & Tricks list,

      A few days ago on MSNBC.com there was a news item about this.

      Now, I find the item posted on MSNBC has expired.  I did a Google

      search on “FBI to spend $1 billion on biometrics database.”  There

      are all kinds of links to news coverage on this.  Here is the Reuters

      link:

                  http://nz.news.yahoo.com07222/5/3e24.html

      MSNBC indicated the news item they had posted came from The

      Washington Post.  I’m not sure that it originated there.  I found a link

      to a longer article on The Washington Post datelined 12-21-2007 at:

                  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/21/AR2007122102544.html?sub=new

      There are critical comments about “Big Brother is Watching You” and how the database will be safe from hackers

      and corrupted data or identity theft.  Also discussed is the reliability of matching and the problem of false positives.

      This database is to be shared with foreign countries all over the world.  It is aimed at more than just Americans.  I

      think it has the potential of becoming a tracking system – functioning in much the same way as an “internal passport”

      system for the American public.  If your name comes up as a “suspicious person” or as a “watched person” you will be

      denied access to public buildings or services, such as renting a car purchasing an airline ticket.

      The federal government can’t seem to come up with funds to build the border fence from Tijuana to Brownsville, but

      the FBI can get $1 Billion for a biometrics database.  The last time I heard how many miles of fence has been built

      since Congress authorized the fence to be built but withheld funds was 2 miles east of San Diego.  That’s in addition

      to a few miles of existing fence.

      Best regards from Virgil

      Vernon, Arizona