Re: [tips_and_tricks] 5 USC § 702 hearings & your Ind.MasterFile; Passports, . ..

  • Email41@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007
      I came across this info looking for the status of neutrals in occupied territories. I wonder if this portion makes it mandatory to posses a passport for those who are non-belligerents (itenerate neutrals) in the occupied territories?

      FM 27-10

      THE LAW OF LAND WARFARE
      CHAPTER 7
      NONHOSTILE RELATIONS OF BELLIGERENTS

      Section II. MILITARY PASSPORTS, SAFE-CONDUCTS AND SAFEGUARDS

      454.

      General Persons within an area occupied by a belligerent may be protected from molestation or interference through military passports,safe-conducts, and safeguards. These devices are a matter of international law only when granted or posted by arrangement with the enemy.

      455. Military Passport A military passport is a document issued by order of a commander of belligerent forces,
      authorizing a person or persons named therein, residing or sojourning within territory occupied by such forces, to travel unmolested within such territory, with or without permissionto pass, or to pass and return, by designated routes, through the lines,subject to such further conditions and limitations as the commander may prescribe.

      CHAPTER 9

      NEUTRALITY

      Section V. NEUTRAL PERSONS

      547. Neutral PersonsThe nationals of a State which is not taking partin the war are considered as neutrals. (H. V, art. 16.)548. Neutral Persons Resident in Occupied Territory

      Neutral persons resident in occupied territory are not entitled to claim different treatment, in general, from that accorded the other inhabitants. They must refrain from all participation in the war, from all hostile acts, and observe strictly the rules of the occupant.All nationals of neutral powers, whether resident or temporarily visiting an occupied territory, may be punished for offenses committed by them to the same extent and in the same manner as enemy nationals. (See GC,art. 4; par. 247 herein, regarding the protectionof neutral persons.)

      Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.