Re: [tips_and_tricks] how 2 talk like a cop

  • B Bell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2007

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Pro Se <proseinpa3@...>
      To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 11:48:29 AM
      Subject: Re: [tips_and_tricks] how 2 talk like a cop

      Not sure why this is on this forum but I needed to respond to an incomplete explanation of  "cop talk", in particular radio communications. The other areas are fairly accurate.

      Having spent a few days using a radio in a patrol car I must tell you that your explanation of the codes as in "code 4", "code 8" etc. have different  meanings in different states even in different cities in the same state.  Several  have universal meanings having derived from the "10" codes and were first used to expand on that code. Many departments and the one I am intimately familiar with use both.

      Your advice to ride along is the best way to get the real day to day usage. Just remember that the officer you ride with will not act the same with you there as he would in your absence. Most officers don't like the danger and extra responsibility that a ride along civilian exposes them to. Radio talk will be the same regardless and flows rapidly like a separate language. An officer thinks and processes in that language and would have to stop and think about what was said to be able to relay in English what was said in radio code. Code not meaning secret but shorthand for speech.

      Sent as clarification, not criticism.