Superiority Constitution or treaty.

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
      I would like all legal minds on this board to answer the question.
      Which is superior, Our Constitution or a treaty that we signed?
      Please remember Article 6 of the Constitution.

      I know that it states,"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United
      States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made,
      or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall
      be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be
      bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or Laws of any state to
      the Contrary notwithstanding."

      I feel that the Constitution has to be the Superior.

      Mike

      Moderator/Bear: I have researched this issue in the past. The Supreme Court has held that treaties must be in conformity with the Constitution. The only authority the makers of treaties have comes from the Constitution.
    • vivus_spartacus
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
        Simple Process of Logic:

        Since the Constitution was "Ordained" / Chartered by "WE THE PEOPLE"
        from which All Government Powers are Derived, including the Power by
        which the Executive and with two thirds of the Senators present
        concur, to make treaties, The Constitution is primary i.e. holds
        precedence / superiority.

        Since a Treaty is essentially "law" and Any Law which is repugnant
        to the Constitution is Null and Void at its inception, Article VI
        paragraph 2 was the "expressed" safegaurd that all subsequent Laws
        and / or treaties must be made in Pursuance thereof lest either the
        Legislature, or the Executive with the Senate attempt to circumvent
        the Constitution by federal law and / or treaty.

        Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your
        getting, Get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

        "vivus spartacus"
        All Rights Reserved (In the 9th Amendment)

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007