Re: [tips_and_tricks] Waht else can I do? Is state sales tax bankruptable?

  • baer@gap.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
      At 11:10 PM 2007 0805, you wrote:

      >What do I do next?
      >Is sales tax liability bankruptable?

      I'm having trouble understanding your circumstance, but it sounds to me as
      if the state has decided that it wishes to make you pay a sales tax that
      they think you should have collected, irrespective of whether you actually did.

      The law reads something to the effect that a business is responsible for
      the sales tax on a taxable item, and the state will invite you to infer
      that you have a right to collect it from a customer, but that the
      obligation to pay is really yours. That really isn't true, nor can be --
      even the logic doesn't hold up.

      I think you will find that the law only addresses sales tax you have
      collected to the extent that you are prevented by law from failing to
      convey it to the Tax and Finance People. In fact, the law may specifically
      prevent you from collecting it in the first place unless you have a state
      resale number. If you applied for and received a resale number, then you
      have, indeed, agreed to act as the state's agent for the purpose of
      collecting the tax. Still, you have to have collected it before you have
      the responsibility for conveying it to the state.

      If you did have a resale number, the first thing you should do, I would
      say, is make certain you are familiar with and understand all the terms of
      your agreement. Generally speaking, however, this just sounds like
      extortion to me, and some of us are already aware that New York has an
      affection for criminal tactics.

      Baer