Re: [tips_and_tricks] Moving on

  • Thrust
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2003
      Couldn't anyone just open up a 'virtual' country without going to incredible
      expense to actually build it? Why not just claim a few acres at the bottom
      of the sea, have a mailing address, say in The Bahamas, and have an office
      somewhere in virtual space on the internet, that sells passports and
      driver's licenses? Why make freedom so hard on ourselves?

      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2003
        It is still active, here it is:
        The government of the Country of Oceanus was formed in 1972 by a group of
        people who wanted to protect the oceans of the world, so they claimed all of
        the unclaimed "land" under the sea as their country.  They have a website
        (still?) if I'm not mistaken.  A google search could bring up something.

        As for me, this is my direction:

        > Didn't Heinlein say that a society that requires ID hs grown too crowded
        an
        > one should move on?

        God bless you all!

        Tim Kiley

        > " I used the Oceanus Passport for a long time with their international
        > " driving permit, but they always look you up and charge with driving
        > " on an expired (California) license because they find a name in their
        > " system that looks like the one on the Passport.
        >
        > You are the first person I've heard from who actually used one of those
        (if
        > by the Oceanus passport you mean the ones issued by the Atlantis Project
        > (aka "Oceania") a few years back.  If you mean something else, I take it
        > all back.)  Anyway, if indeed you are talking about using a passport from
        > one of the newly developing free states (if such a non sequitur will ever
        > exist), then it's really too bad that nobody's thought (so far) to
        > recommend or require a legal name change to obtain the citizenship in the
        > new nation.  Then what you describe simply could not happen.
        >
        > The goons here might still trace you through fingerprints, iris scans,
        > facial recognition, voice prints, data (credit card) trails, and other
        > invisible means, but at least just merging the data tables on your name or
        > SSN would be pretty pointless.
        >
        > " I believe that the International License and Passports may get harder
        > " to use with Fatherland, I mean, Homeland Security.
        >
        > I hearrd that "they" have been cracking down on international licenses
        > laterly.  Would it make sense (I'm speculating out loud here) to have a
        > regular license from your (new) "native" nation and a regular "domestic"
        > license in say California in either your new or old name?  I'm not sure
        > what that would entail or what it would mean in practice, so I'm just
        > thinking out loud and soliciting thoughts.
        >
        > Didn't Heinlein say that a society that requires ID hs grown too crowded
        an
        > one should move on?
        > --
        > Richard Johnson
        richard@...
        > Cuis custodiet ipsos custodes?     Cui bono?

        Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
        No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
        Try Netflix for FREE!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/aQSolB/TM

      • Lewis Mohr
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2003
          You better read The Law of Nations before you embark on such a mission.  Lewis  -o-

          Emmerich de Vattel: The Law of Nations
          LAW OF NATIONS PRINCIPLES OF THE LAW OF NATURE APPLIED TO THE CONDUCT AND AFFAIRS OF NATIONS AND SOVEREIGNS FROM THE FRENCH OF MONSIEUR DE VATTEL.
          www.constitution.org/vattel/vattel.htm

          Thrust <thrust@...> wrote:
          Couldn't anyone just open up a 'virtual' country without going to incredible
          expense to actually build it? Why not just claim a few acres at the bottom
          of the sea, have a mailing address, say in The Bahamas, and have an office
          somewhere in virtual space on the internet, that sells passports and
          driver's licenses? Why make freedom so hard on ourselves?

          > The government of the Country of Oceanus was formed in 1972 by a group of
          > people who wanted to protect the oceans of the world, so they claimed all
          of
          > the unclaimed "land" under the sea as their country.  They have a website
          > (still?) if I'm not mistaken.  A google search could bring up something.
          >
          > As for me, this is my direction:
          >
          > > Didn't Heinlein say that a society that requires ID hs grown too crowded
          > an
          > > one should move on?
          >
          > God bless you all!
          >
          > Tim Kiley

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Lewis Mohr

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2003
              Thrust wrote:

              > Couldn't anyone just open up a 'virtual' country without going to incredible
              > expense to actually build it? Why not just claim a few acres at the bottom
              > of the sea, have a mailing address, say in The Bahamas, and have an office
              > somewhere in virtual space on the internet, that sells passports and
              > driver's licenses? Why make freedom so hard on ourselves?

              They've done it, several times. The one I knew about is now
              dissolved: http://www.lfcity.com/