Re: non datur

  • Tim Kiley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2003
      iI got my passport by filling out the application corectly and entering all
      zeroes for the Socialized Slave Number. I put California as "country" and
      nothing in the two-space area for "state".

      Then I requested I requested certified copy form the state dept and got a
      really pretty one with a red ribbon and a cover sheet signed by Colin
      Powell.

      Whatever that all means...

      My name is still on it in ALL CAPITALS. But I know that behind it all
      (behind the fraud which created that artificial name) the original
      application stands with my true Christian name and information on it. And I
      have the certified copy to back it up.

      I used the Oceanus Passport for a long time with their international driving
      permit, but they always look you up and charge with driving on an expired
      (California) license because they find a name in their system that looks
      like the one on the Passport. I believe that the International License and
      Passports may get harder to use with Fatherland, I mean, Homeland Security.
      Then again Barry has done very well with his...

      Tim Kiley

      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2003
        On Tuesday 13 May Tim Kiley wrote:
        " I used the Oceanus Passport for a long time with their international
        " driving permit, but they always look you up and charge with driving
        " on an expired (California) license because they find a name in their
        " system that looks like the one on the Passport.

        You are the first person I've heard from who actually used one of those (if
        by the Oceanus passport you mean the ones issued by the Atlantis Project
        (aka "Oceania") a few years back. If you mean something else, I take it
        all back.) Anyway, if indeed you are talking about using a passport from
        one of the newly developing free states (if such a non sequitur will ever
        exist), then it's really too bad that nobody's thought (so far) to
        recommend or require a legal name change to obtain the citizenship in the
        new nation. Then what you describe simply could not happen.

        The goons here might still trace you through fingerprints, iris scans,
        facial recognition, voice prints, data (credit card) trails, and other
        invisible means, but at least just merging the data tables on your name or
        SSN would be pretty pointless.

        " I believe that the International License and Passports may get harder
        " to use with Fatherland, I mean, Homeland Security.

        I hearrd that "they" have been cracking down on international licenses
        laterly. Would it make sense (I'm speculating out loud here) to have a
        regular license from your (new) "native" nation and a regular "domestic"
        license in say California in either your new or old name? I'm not sure
        what that would entail or what it would mean in practice, so I'm just
        thinking out loud and soliciting thoughts.

        Didn't Heinlein say that a society that requires ID hs grown too crowded an
        one should move on?
        --
        Richard Johnson richard@...
        Cuis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cui bono?
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2003
          I just went to the oceania and the Principality of New Utopia. Very
          interesting. Do you mean you can actually USE an Oceania passport to travel
          and actually go to Europe or other continent and not be put on a plane and
          sent immediately back home?

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2003
            I don't know anything about Oceania. This is the first time I have heard of
            it.

            Tim Kiley

            Message 5 of 5 , May 16, 2003
              On 14 May 2003, Tim Kiley wrote:
              " I don't know anything about Oceania.
              " This is the first time I have heard of it.

              Not much to tell at this point. About 1995 a guy named Eric Klein decided
              to promote a new "libertarian" nation built on floating platforms just over
              50 miles from Panama, on a shallow spot in the Caribbean. The project
              gained momentum and adherents for about five years. They had a web site, a
              newsgroup, and a mailing list. (I moderated the newsgroup.) About 1998
              or so they started selling flags and passports.

              About 2000 or so, Klein suddenly disappeared. Turns out he owed a lot of
              people a lot of money, and his disappearance raised the spectre that the
              whole thing was a scam and yet another chance for one person to shear some
              sheep. I personally am agnostic about it. I don't know one way or the
              other about the accusations.

              I do know that these revelations and disappearances was a kick to the groin
              of the project. For the last three years, conversation and progress has
              been sporadic. One of the prime movers went to work setting up free ports
              in Somaila. Another went ahead with his buisness of building large-area
              floating platforms, for Florida developers. A few die hards still wait for
              a crritical mass or leader to re-emerge. A few of us, in tiny groups, work
              on bootstrapping means and technology. (If you can't get 10,000 people to
              pony up $50,000 each, how do you start a self-sustaining and free country?)

              So, it's an interesting idea. More like a miscarriage than infant
              mortality. It might get restarted in some other form in the future.
              Oceanus seems both older and more stable. Have you actually used their
              passport?

              Other notable "free state" projects include:

              * "The Free State Project", which is basically a bunch of people who want
              to move into a low-population state and politically take over. (I would
              call this "gulching" with a twist.)

              * Laissez Faire City is a virtual country with a virtual data haven.
              (Totally untraceable money and trading.)

              * The Freedom Ship, which is a huge ocean liner made for rich retirees and
              is not that free (or did I get two projects confused?)

              * The L5 society is still alive and kicking too.

              I'm sure others exist too, and I would welcome knowing who they are so I
              can add them to a somewhat definitive list.

              Discussing free state projects might be off-topic for this list, except for
              comparison and contrast. If you'd like to discuss any of them more, please
              contact me off-list, or get the moderator to say "OK" to the discussion.
              :=)

              Live free and prosper.