Standing for Truth & Righteousness

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2003

      Folks,

      Some of you know Debi and her family but for those of you who do not she is a genuine daughter of Yah.  She and her husband Gene have raised a family who
      live
      the light we are told to show to the world. This story is being repeated more often, in many variations, and is an example of what is  prophesied in scripture for these times. Three cheers for Debi!

      Robert Lee

      Dear Ones,

      We hope you will be encouraged by the following testimony .  In the not-too-distant future you may be called upon to stand for what you believe in.  Are you ready?

      My Four Days in Duchesne County Jail

      by Debi Benjamin

      Suffering comes in many forms but the best form is when you suffer for doing good or for what you believe in.  This form of suffering is pleasing and acceptable in God’s eyes.  So, what follows is the suffering I had to endure for what I believed in. This is not a formula to follow but a path to walk, which must be led by the Spirit of God. Not only did I learn to endure and stand up for the right, I learned how to be quiet when reviled and suffering.

      It had already been a rough day of travel.  We’d left my sister’s house where we’d spent the night before and were headed to Colorado Springs. We took the back road to Elko, which was covered with snow and ice in April. We planned to take I15 to Provo and head off toward I70 but unfortunately we missed the exit and ended up on 180 going east and north.  We decided to get off that road onto Highway 40 and go through Park City down to Heber City and stay on Highway 40 until we were in Colorado and head south.  We got lost in Park City and by that time my husband was totally frustrated and said I could drive.  I suggested we stop, get gas and ask directions, which we did and then I started driving.  We finally found Highway 40.

      The road was virtually deserted.  I passed maybe 2-3 cars all the way to Duchesne (pronounced Dooshane) It was a lovely clear day and my husband wanted me to go as fast as I could so I went over the speed limit. (Haven’t we all?)  Unfortunately, a state trooper stopped me.  Now, I carry no driver’s license as a matter of conscience before God and to stay out of the state corporate district, so they asked me to get in their car. (I later found out that when you get in their car, they technically have incarcerated you.)  So, he asked for my name, address, SSN, birth date, etc. and wrote up a ticket for me. I gave him my name and a general delivery address (the only lawful address anyone can have-If you have any other address besides this you become a Federal agent for a mini-post office.). He asked if I would take care of the ticket.  I told him I would abate it through lawful process.  He then asked me if I would sign the ticket.  I said, “No.”  He threatened me with jail if I did not sign their defective process.  I told him, “Well then I will sign it but I will sign it ‘Under duress and coercion.’”  So he handcuffed me and took me to jail.  You certainly can’t say that I would have signed that ticket voluntarily because he threatened me with jail if I didn’t sign it.  I know for a fact, that I cannot be forced into a corporate jurisdiction, yet they (the police) obviously don’t know that.

      On the way to the station, I informed the policeman of the nature of the corporate jurisdiction he was working for and that it was unconstitutional to force me into it!  He listened but I’m not sure he was convinced.  He told me he’d taken an oath to uphold the constitution, so I asked him, “Then why don’t you (uphold it)?”

      When I got to the station, a very nice gentleman took my loose belongings, namely my watch, my sunglasses, my sweater and cut a bracelet off me and put them into a paper bag. (Can they damage my goods and not repay me for it?)  He then asked me to sign for them.  I refused.  I knew if I signed anything they would attach my signature to a conspicuously fictitious name in their computer eventually.  A woman took my shoes and patted me down for weapons and put me into what they call the holding pen or tank.  I asked for a blanket since I was promised I’d get one since my sweater was taken. Then I asked for a Bible and they found me one. I was surprisingly peaceful through all this and I asked the jailer to tell my husband (who followed us to the jail) to not bail me out.  I would no sooner have paid them a dime than I would pay a mafia man to steal my car.  So he went on to Colorado Springs and left me in Duchesne County Jail. Some time later, a guard came in and wanted to book me into jail.  He asked me all kinds of questions, most I did not answer.  He then asked me if I would let him take a picture and fingerprint me.  I said, “No.”  I never did get fingerprinted because I was never booked in.  A little later a guard gave me a bag of necessities – comb, towel, toothbrush and toothpaste, razor, glass, spoon and fork, deodorant soap, 2 more blankets (Thank the Lord!!) and 2 sheets.

      Most of the fear I had about going to jail was being tortured by the guards. But as I kept my eyes on Jesus, he taught me, “Do not fear them.” One of the first things I did when I settled into my cell was to ask the Father to forgive them all because they didn’t know what they were doing. I prayed and fasted the whole time I was there.  I was actually never hungry and the guards freaked when I wouldn’t eat.  In the first 24 hours I was moved into 3 different cells.  All the cells were made of cement block and the door faced an elevated desk where the guards could see you at all times.  The wall with the door in it was made of steel and plexiglass…mostly plexiglass. There was a block bench that had a plastic 3” pad to lay on, a sink and toilet. All open to plain view. There was really no private place in the cell where you could not be seen if someone were walking by.  There was also not privacy to use the toilet.

      I was brought into jail on Saturday. That night they brought in a bunch of rowdy men so they moved me to isolation where it was quieter and actually warmer.  It was very cold in the holding tank.  I needed 3 blankets to stay warm.  While I was in the isolation cell, I requested something to clean the cell with since it had been previously occupied.  They did give me cleaning supplies and I cleaned everything. It felt good to live in a clean surrounding.

      On Sunday morning a different guard woke me and told me to pick up my stuff and move back to the holding pen.  I really wanted to stay where I was since it was warm but he demanded I move.  So I packed up the few belongings they’d given me and moved back to a different cell in the holding pen.  This was more private than the previous holding pen cell but not as private as isolation. I could at least move out of the camera range where they could not see me to wash myself.  When I went to the bathroom, I covered myself with a blanket so that I could see them but they could not see me.  The Lord led me to go when no one was around…except for the camera.

      The guards regularly came around to ask me to sign their papers and give them my SSN (which I do not have) and other information that I refused to give them.  They said they could not process me without that information (which I already knew) and that I would not see a judge until I gave them that information and dressed out (means to put on their prison pants and shirt).  I meekly said, “Well, I guess I’ll be here a long time then.”  At this point, I asked for cleaning supplies to clean my cell, since mostly men had previously occupied it.  This time they refused until I had given them the info they wanted and dressed out (cross dressed) for them.  Imagine them trying to make a man wear a dress and yet they wanted me to wear pants. Deut. 22:5 says, “A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the LORD your God.”

      You all know I do not and will not wear pants, so when they told me I would have to wear pants, I told them about my beliefs and that if they forced me, I would fight them.  They did not want a fight so they let me wear my skirt and blouse…not that they didn’t threaten me.  In fact, on Sunday they became more insistent that I give them what they wanted.  When I asked for hair shampoo, they said not unless you dress out.  So I washed my hair with deodorant soap. I asked for a shower and got the same answer.  For this I put the blanket over me and gave myself a spit bath.  I asked for paper and pencil and again was denied unless I dressed out. I knew I would be refused any thing I requested so I didn’t bother asking after that.  I’d say the Devil really, really wants women to wear pants because he tried everything to get me to.  But I never did get dressed out.

      I was to go see the judge on Monday but they changed that at the last minute since I was not under corporate jurisdiction (They didn’t have anything to prove I was in their jurisdiction and they had no signature to attach me to their fictitious corporate name).  Instead I was to go see the 8th District Court Judge on Tuesday. I would have to wait another day.  (Is this what they call a speedy trial?) My husband called on Monday and requested to speak to me, but they would not allow him to.  They didn’t even tell me he’d called. All this for not voluntarily signing their defective process ticket exactly the way they wanted.  This was all done under color of law not real law.  Now mind you, I am not against laws for I Timothy 1:8 says, “But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully.”  Unfortunately, I know that these traffic laws are being used unlawfully so it is my duty to resist them and it is your duty to find out about them and resist them also.

      Anyway, I’m glad the court date was delayed, because I was ready to just say I’m sorry and go home.  But God wanted me to be able to stand for what I believed in and would not let me back down.  He said my faith was being tried and I needed to continue to stand for what I believed in.  So for the rest of the day I prayed and sang to the Lord.  This was my habit while I was in jail.  I struggled several times with fear but the Lord continually directed my eyes toward Him and His promises of deliverance.  As long as I kept my eyes on him, I didn’t fear. While I was praying, the guards put another woman in with me before she went to trial.  She was real sweet and very encouraging to me.  I prayed with her for some physical problems and that she would be released to take care of some medical needs.  When she came back from court she was so happy she started crying when she saw me and said they’d released her for a week.  “Thank you so much for your prayers,” she told me.  There were several other men that I was able to testify to of my reasons for resisting their corrupt system.  I am counting on Isaiah 55:11 to be fulfilled which says,

          “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;

          It shall not return to Me void,

          But it shall accomplish what I please,

          And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.”

      Tuesday arrived and I was contemplating how to answer, when the Lord directed me to Ez. 3:8-9,25-26, “Behold, I have made your face strong against their faces, and your forehead strong against their foreheads.  Like adamant stone, harder than flint, I have made your forehead; do not be afraid of them, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they are a rebellious house…And you, O son (daughter) of man, surely they will put bonds on you and bind you with them, so that you cannot go out among them.  I will make your tongue cling to the roof of your mouth, so that you shall be mute and not be a reprover to them, for they are a rebellious house.”

      So when the female guard came to get me, she bound me around my waist with chains and handcuffed me to them just as the Lord had said.  While I was walking with her to the judge’s chambers, I told her I thought this was a little extreme for not signing a traffic ticket and she said I was stupid not to sign the ticket.  So I didn’t say another word after that.  She took me into the judge’s office (not a courtroom) with about 5-6 other people packed around the room.  I looked mostly at my hands because I was afraid I would speak.  I looked out the window because I hadn’t seen the sun, land or sky for 4 days.  They looked so pretty.  Then the judge began to ask me questions and I didn’t answer any of them- Is this your name? Is it spelled correctly? Do you speak English? (The guard testified that I did.) What are you in here for? They didn’t even know, so they had to wait while someone found out what I was in for.  Then he showed me a paper of my rights, ha haOne of them being that they didn’t guarantee anything. (Typical corporate policy.) He then asked me to sign it.  I didn’t so he signed it with a witness that I had refused to sign it.  They assigned counsel to me and asked me what I pleaded.  I didn’t answer so they entered a not guilty plea and sent me back to my cell.

      When I got back to my cell, the female guard took the chains and handcuffs off me.  I told her, “Thank you,” and sat down under my blankets.  By this time I was getting cold easily since I hadn’t eaten during the last 4 days.  Meanwhile, outside my cell, one of the women guards was threatening me by saying, “Well, there are three of us. We should be able to get her dressed out (cross dressed).  I felt they were going to force me to dress in pants, so I put my feet on the ground and into my shoes and got ready for a fight. A male guard came in and said they would need to take a picture of me, fingerprint me, and get me dressed out.  I refused. A woman guard said, “Well, one way or the other you will do it.”  Then they left.  I was praying and peaceful.  One female guard took my picture through the glass from 2 angles.  She didn’t get much of a picture since I was sitting on my bed reading my Bible with my head down and the windows were soap scummy.  (That was my fault.  When they wouldn’t give me anything to clean the cell with, I cleaned the whole cell with deodorant soap.  This same guard asked me what I had done.  I said, “I cleaned the windows.”  She yelled at another guard to get me a washcloth and told me to wipe if off.  I said, “Thank you.”  That’s how I got a washcloth out of them.  But I couldn’t get all the deodorant soap scum off with just water so a good deal of it was left on the window. Good thing.)

      The female guards then started talking about having me wear a sheet for a skirt.  Now, I probably would have done that.  But at this point, they received a call from the judge’s office telling them to let me go, NOW.  A male guard came in and asked, “Why won’t you answer us?  When you asked for the time, I told you, so why won’t you answer us?”  I told him I would tell him when I got out of jail (outside the jailhouse in the sunshine).  He said,  “OK.”  Then he told me I was to be released and left. This was all within 10-15 minutes after I had seen the judge. I was so grateful to God and so relieved I started crying.  They brought me my sack of belongings and I put everything on and they led me outside and pointed me to the town of Duchesne, which was a mile away. The guard who wanted to know why I hadn’t answered him was waiting outside my cell but he didn’t follow me outside, so I never told him why I didn’t answer his questions.  I didn’t have to pay a cent for the ticket.  They felt my 4 days in jail had been enough payment. I felt that the only thing I really owed them was to love them and that’s what I did.

      I had no money, no vehicle, nobody to help me except God.  I was weak from fasting and had just been kicked out the door after they had seized me unlawfully from my husband and children, locked me up in jail, chained and handcuffed me like a criminal, and now they say nothing and do not return me to my family.  This seizure was not only unlawful but it was unconstitutional and unreasonable.  “Amendment IV-The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

      Amendment XIV - Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States , and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

      I believe the police and state troopers need to learn what the constitution says and what is true law and what is color of law.  I found one thing to be true…only God can truly be trusted and truly can deliver.  Everyone else will fail us at some point, but not him.

      I headed toward town, not knowing where I was going, crying most of the way from relief that I was free and sadness at how I had been treated, feeling like the scum of the earth. (I knew what Paul must have felt like.) Several men passed me in cars, trucks, etc. but no one bothered to help me.  I finally found a man working on his car and asked if I could use his phone.  I would call collect.  He let me use his cell phone and didn’t charge me.  I called my daughter and told her to call her Dad to come and get me at a café near the bank.  I continued walking and got lost in a suburb of Duchesne.  One person said to go here and another there so that I was walking in circles. I finally asked a young woman who had a daycare and she showed me where to go but would not take me because of the 5 children she had. I told her I hadn’t eaten in 4 days.  She asked me where I had been.  I said, “Jail.”  She said, “Oh they feed you there, I’m sure you’ve eaten,” and dismissed me. I decided at this point not to tell anyone that I was weak from lack of food, that I needed water and a ride and that I’d been in jail. So off I went again and found a gravel path down the bluff and walked and slid down it to the bottom.  Headed to where I had seen the bank sign from above and asked for directions again.

       I finally made it to the café and asked if I could stay there until my husband came to get me.  “It would be about 9-12 hours,” I told her.  It was about noon when I got to the café. She said she would check but that they were only open until 9 p.m.  I told her I had no money and no place to go.  She offered me a glass of water, which I drank thirstily.  Then about an hour later she asked if I would like some soup and a roll.  I told her, “That would be great.”  I started crying again because God saw my need and fed me.  I was so grateful.  Then about 3 hours later a man came in, had some soup and after about 45 minutes asked if I needed a place to stay.  He said he would put me up in a hotel.  I told him my husband would pay for it when he came but then he asked if I wanted to wait at home with he and his wife.  I said, “Yes, that would be better than just sitting around here.”  He went home, got his wife and then came and got me.  We all had great fellowship.  They let me take a bath and they washed my clothes. (I’d been in them for 4 days.)  It felt so good to be clean again.  Then I helped her make pizza for dinner.  I called my husband and he was about 5 hours away.  Pretty soon my sister called, then my dad and son, then my daughter.  They were all so happy I was out.

      I was happy I was out of jail, too.  But I had to learn to endure hardship like a good soldier if I am ever to stand against evil.  God’s had me do a lot of crazy things just so I will run up against angry, accusing faces.  Most of us hate confrontation and will back down at the first sign of angry or accusing words. The thing is, can we stand and not feel guilty or condemned against those who yell at us or threaten us?

      I was constantly threatened when I was in jail – Things like; You’ll be in jail along time if you don’t cooperate; You will dress out in pants; You can’t have anything unless you cooperate; You may have to pay huge fines, etc.  You can be sure that if there is any fleshly thing that means more to you than obeying God, someone will try to hook you with it to get you to obey man’s will instead of God’s; including your reputation, your ‘ministry’, etc.

      So the question is, “Are you ready for that?  Have you armed yourself with the same mind that Jesus had? (I Pet. 4:1)  When the wicked treat you like a criminal, are you going to accept a criminal mind or will you maintain a good conscience so that when they defame you as evildoers; those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed? (I Pet. 3:16) What have you got that means more to you than obeying God?

      Don’t think for a moment that your convictions won’t be tried.  They will.  If your goal is to please man then you can be sure you will not please God, because man will at some point ask you to violate your conscience.  You can see why Jesus never entrusted himself to any man.  Even in marriage, you cannot violate your conscience for the sake of your husband or wife.  Then you will have to take whatever punishment you get for standing for right.  Fortunately, God knows how to deliver his people from trouble.  It’s time to fine tune our hearing to God’s voice and harden our flesh to trials.  And don’t worry; you won’t have to go looking for trials.  If you have any convictions at all, they will be tested.

      Suffering is part of being a Bible conviction-keeping Believer. If you are trying to avoid suffering, then you are trying to avoid the glory of God in your life. I hope you are one of the suffering righteous who has convictions worth keeping.  It’s time to follow Jesus and stand up for what is right.

      II Tim. 1:8, “Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God.”

      I Peter 4:12, “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; 13but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. 14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.”

      We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus our Lord.

    • Frank Taucher
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2003

        hi debi

        i went through a similar experience a little over a year ago

        one of the things you should do, imho, is immediately record your experience in an affidavit

        regards
        ft