Electric company

  • piserver777
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2007
      Hi all I'm new here but I have a challenge. My electric company, the
      only one in town by the way (I thought monopolies were illegal)has
      sent me a letter stating that becuase we have been delinquent 3 times
      in the last 12 months (not currently) that they are charging us a
      $230.00 deposit fee.

      This to be paid by the 17th or they will shut us off on the 18th. I
      called them and informed them that I needed to see the contract that I
      signed with them authorizing this action. They of course stated that
      their was no such contract.

      I informed them that they had no legal right to charge this
      fee/fine/tax and they said this was to "secure the account" and I
      asked them what "secure my account" meant. They said it was for in
      case I should leave town and not pay a balance and it was for "my
      protection and theirs".

      I asked them how it is that by making payments late (that I had no
      choice but to make as they were the only game in town and electricity
      is a necessity not a luxury) that this meant I was a risk of flight
      without paying off my debt to wit they responded "oh we're not saying
      that u will" DUH!

      Anyway, my question is how should I handle this? Should I let them
      turn off the power and go after them on a RICO statute? Should I pay
      it and go after them with a small claims suit to get the money back?
      Should I serve them with a harrasment suit? Get an Injunction? HELP??
    • Don Schwarz
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2007

        GOOGLE or search for the rules and regulations
        in your state as to how the electric company is
        to operate.

        Get all your bills in order.

        Get all your payment slips in order.

        Now sit down and try to understand is an error has
        been made.

        Sometimes the simple solution is all that is required.

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        Anyway, my question is how should I handle this? Should I let them
        turn off the power and go after them on a RICO statute? Should I pay
        it and go after them with a small claims suit to get the money back?
        Should I serve them with a harrasment suit? Get an Injunction? HELP??

      • Richard Gieser
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2007
          Hi Piserver,

          If you wish to dispute any sort of issue with a utility company remember that as a price to pay for their monopoly they are regulated by your state public utilties commision. Send a money order to your state public utilities commision for the amount in dispute along with a letter explaining your position and how you want it handled. Enclosing a stamped, self addressed envelope for their answer might tilt in your favor. Send a copy to the utility (electric company) of the M.O. and letter along with a copy of their demand. By law the electric company knows they cannot disrupt your service pending the PUC's decision. If the PUC decides in favor of the electric company they will send your money to the electric company so you will be putting yourself at the mercy of the PUC. If the electric company doesn't have a solid position in law they will probably loose and you will get your money back. If they do keep it ask when you will get it back. With timely payments for one year I think it must be returned in full. Ask for interest.

          Richard Gieser

          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
        • piserver777
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2007
            Thanks Richard,

            Excelent advice. I found the rule in their state utilities commission
            (which in AZ is the Az. Corp. Comm.. The rule states that they may
            charge a new applicant a deposit if they have been delinguent more
            thatn 2 times in the past 12 months. However we are not NEW
            applicants, we have lived in 3 separate residences in the last 30
            years but have used this particular company (with no choice of course)
            the whole time and we last moved last october. So I believe they are
            abusing the law. I'm going to run with this by doing as you said
            along with this argument.

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2007
              --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Don Schwarz
              <vigilespaladin@...> wrote:

              > GOOGLE or search for the rules and regulations
              > in your state as to how the electric company is
              > to operate.
              >
              > Get all your bills in order.
              >
              > Get all your payment slips in order.
              >
              > Now sit down and try to understand is an error has
              > been made.
              >
              > Sometimes the simple solution is all that is required.
              >

              > At 03:34 AM 5/8/07 +0000, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi all I'm new here but I have a challenge. My electric company, the
              > >only one in town by the way (I thought monopolies were illegal)has
              > >sent me a letter stating that becuase we have been delinquent 3 times
              > >in the last 12 months (not currently) that they are charging us a
              > >$230.00 deposit fee.
              > >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              > >
              > >Anyway, my question is how should I handle this? Should I let them
              > >turn off the power and go after them on a RICO statute? Should I pay
              > >it and go after them with a small claims suit to get the money back?
              > >Should I serve them with a harrasment suit? Get an Injunction? HELP??
              > >
              >Thanks for the response! I'm getting a lot of good feedback.
            • Jim Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2007
                One could PRE-pay,
                even with a smaller tha $230.00,
                and not be taking the benefit of using now
                and paying later.

                Send them 'a little something' each week,
                BEFORE any bill is due, until you build up a month's payment in advance...

                You will be in the Creditor position, the service provider will be the debtor...

                Their  request for $230.00 woul be indefensible... in my humble opinion.

                I know times are tough, but even if they received only a $20.00 check EARLY
                you are better off....

                Hi all I'm new here but I have a challenge. My electric company, the
                only one in town by the way (I thought monopolies were illegal)has
                sent me a letter stating that becuase we have been delinquent 3 times
                in the last 12 months (not currently) that they are charging us a
                $230.00 deposit fee.

                Anyway, my question is how should I handle this? Should I let them
                turn off the power and go after them on a RICO statute? Should I pay
                it and go after them with a small claims suit to get the money back?
                Should I serve them with a harrasment suit? Get an Injunction? HELP??

                Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.