FW: from aba pres

  • Frank Taucher
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2003

      regards
      ft

      Wall Street Journal Article
      Monday, 20030428
      Page 13

      The Benefits and Risks of Non-Lawyer Services

      Your April 15 editorial, "How Many Lawyers Does It Take ... " misses the point.  The American Bar Association's objective is enhancing consumer access and protection, not limiting competition

      We live in a changing world.  Because of that, the ABA periodically revisists important issues that it has previously considered - issues of law, issues of the profession and issues of access to justice.  The past several years have seen increasing activity by non-lawyers in ways that may be highly beneficial to the public in accessing services related to the law, but may also represent a risk to the public because of the absence of accountability that professional licensing provides.

      I created the ABA Task Force on the Model Definition of the Practice of Law in an attempt to enhance access to services related to the law, legal and non-legal.  The task force has been asked to give prosecuting attorneys guidance to help avoid inappropriate enforcement of unauthorized practice of law statutes.  We have a responsibility to the public to consider these issues; considering them doesn't determine the outcome.  We looked at this issue at midyear and will continue that discussion in August.

      And by the way, the answer to your question, "How many lawyers does it take?"  It only takes one.

      Alfred P. Carlton Jr.
      President
      American Bar Association
      Chicago