Re: [tips_and_tricks] oh my GOSHHHHH going to ?

  • Don Schwarz
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007

      Coby,

      I have posted to you some possible responses to the question
      you posed below.

      I just thought of something else.

      Laws cannot be enacted under the "police power" IF
      THOSE LAWS, subvert or injuriously restrain under COLOR
      of securing those rights.

      What the Supreme Court is saying is this: THE RIGHT must
      still be lawfully exercisable even if the citizen does not
      comply with the alleged "law".

      Rights are not dependent upon laws to be exercised
      in a lawful manner.

      Under the First Amendment RIGHT of redress, if you
      don't have a "drivers' license" and there is no
      public transportation to take you to the seat of
      government, how do you exercise this right minus the
      "privilege" of controlling your own mechanical locomotion
      to the seat of government?

      What you are restricted to phone calls or mail to
      the seat of government?

      "Conferred a political right or privilege"

      Is not the right of travel one of these?

      YICK WO v. HOPKINS, 118 U.S. 356 (1886)

      Though not regarded strictly as a natural right, but as a privilege merely conceded by society, according to its will, under certain conditions, nevertheless it is regarded as a fundamental political right, because preservative of all rights. In reference to that right, it was declared by the supreme judicial court of Massachusetts, in Capen v. Foster, [ 29 Mass ]12 Pick. 485, 488, in the words of Chief Justice SHAW, 'that in all [118 U.S. 356, 371] cases where the constitution has conferred a political right or privilege, and where the constitution has not particularly designated the manner in which that right is to be exercised, it is clearly within the just and constitutional limits of the legislative power to adopt any reasonable and uniform regulations, in regard to the time and mode of exercising that right, which are designed to secure and facilitate the exercise of such right in a prompt, orderly, and convenient manner;' nevertheless, 'such a construction would afford no warrant for such an exercise of legislative power as, under the pretense and color of regulating, should subvert or injuriously restrain, the right itself.'

      At 07:47 PM 2/28/07 -0800, you wrote:

      My friend and I were talking about a bill that he had just voted on regarding teenage drivers.  He is a Oklahoma State Representative.  I asked why he voted the way he did, because it did not make sense to be voting on a bill regarding 16 year old drivers on commercial issues. You can't drive commercially until 18 years of age.  He replied: "What are you talking about."  I said: "You are not required to have a drivers license in Oklahoma unless it is for commercial purposes."  He then corrected me and said I was wrong. I asked
      ========================  snipppppppppppppppp