Demolishing a Police Witness during Cross-Examination

  • hobot
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2007
      Thanks for insights on police training as state's
      witness.

      Hardball Book has a story about the Salem Witch trials
      when people lost lives and property over the testimony
      of state witnesses by two young girls. When the falsehood
      was discovered the trials stopped but the two girls
      were never punished as they were partners in crime with
      the state, which protects its own interest over justice.

      hobot
    • Fred Marshall
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
        There is a case called Briscoe v. LaHue which deals with a police
        officer being able to lie on the witness stand without consequence, if I
        remember correctly. Seems that would make him an unreliable witness,
        whose testimony could then be impeached? Just a thought.