Court Appearance

  • John F. Worrell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
      kids and family cases

      Hammer v. Dagenhart 247 u.s. 251 (1918)
      Bailey v. Drexel Furniture Company 259 u.s. 20 (1922)
      Meyer v. State of Nebraska 262 u.s. 390 (1923)
      Pierce v. Society of Sisters 268 u.s. 510 (1925)
      Minersville School District v. Board of Education 310 u.s. 586 (1940)
      West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 319 u.s. 624 (1943)
      Prince v. Massachusetts 321 u.s. 158 (1944)
      Everson v. Board of Education of the Township of Ewing 330 u.s. 1 (1947)
      In re Gault 387 u.s. 1 (1967)
      Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School Dist. 393 u.s. 503 (1969)
      Ingraham v. Wright 430 u.s. 651 (1977)
      Santosky v. Kramer 455 u.s. 745 (1982)
      Palmore v. Sidoti 466 u.s. 429 (1984)
      Hazelwood School Dist. v. Kuhlmeier 484 u.s. 260 (1988)
      DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services 489 u.s. 189 (1989)
      Massachusetts v. Oakes 491 u.s. 576 (1989)
      Osborne v. Ohio 495 u.s. 103 (1990)
      Maryland v. Craig 497 u.s. 836 (1990)
      United States v. Lopez 514 u.s. 549 (1995)
      Troxel v. Granville 530 u.s. 57 (2000)
      Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition 00-795 (2002)
      Nguyen v. INS 99-2071 (2001)

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
        Anyone who might know,

        I recently had to appear in family court because of an alleged
        arrearage in my child support payments. I have the documentation to
        prove that I've made them, that isn't the problem. When I was
        compelled to go before the court they had nothing on record that
        required me to pay, it would appear that the local child support
        office has lost my signed agreement with them to pay. My question is
        this, if they have nothing in their files that requires me to pay,
        then why should I? The woman with whom I had this child with will not
        allow me to be part of the childs life and has never allowed me to see
        him for the last ten years. All she is interested in the money. Does
        anyone have any comments that I might use the next time I have to appear?

        thanks,

        Larry
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2007
          You have every right to see your child. The one and only time I saw
          a family court judge "go-off" was when he found out the child was
          being used as a pawn by the mother to achieve "other ends" in her
          ongoing dispute with the father. Family court is good for little
          else than this: If you want a relationship with the child, petition
          the court for it! If you're current with the support, and many times
          even when you're not, the court will not deny you your right to be a
          part of your child's life. If the court agrees with your petition,
          and then she denies visitation, at least she's in violation of an
          order of the court, and this is actionable.

          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "bgoldwater64"