Re: [tips_and_tricks] Worth Fighting a DUI!

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
      He was in Georgia. In most states now, refusing the BAC test gets you
      an 'automatic' 1 year suspension (there are a few exceptions). It is
      due to 'implied consent'. He got the DUI because, scared to death and
      not allowed to make a phone call and given the impression that he could
      be in jail for while, he went in a pleaded guilty to DUI when they had
      nothing on him! He has a hearing this coming Tuesday and we expect the
      judge to reject/reverse this guilty plea. But, even if the judge
      dismissed all the DUI charges on the court side, there is the
      administrative side run by the drivers license department which says
      'you refuse our test and you lose your license (for a year)'.
      gary wrote:

      > Unless I missed it, Steve didn't say what state his son is in so I can't
      > look it up, but I'd like to know in what state you are automatically
      > convicted of DUI if you refuse the test. Anybody know?
      >
      > .

    • ric1009
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
        North Carolina carries a penalty like this; automatic license
        suspension for refusal to take a breathalyzer. I don't think it
        carries the same weight as a DUI, but I'm not sure.