Re: [tips_and_tricks] Worth Fighting a DUI!

  • gary
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2 9:54 AM
      I'm a little confused about this case. I know that in the state I lived in
      until my recent move, refusal to take the breath test got you an automatic
      30 day license suspension, you didn't get convicted of DUI unless there was
      some EVIDENCE of it. Why would the average person refuse to take the test
      if merely refusing was grounds to convict you of DUI? That would be the
      same as automatically being convicted of a crime if you take the 5th and if
      that were the case, no one would take the 5th.

      Unless I missed it, Steve didn't say what state his son is in so I can't
      look it up, but I'd like to know in what state you are automatically
      convicted of DUI if you refuse the test. Anybody know?

      Gary

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2 2:31 PM
        He was in Georgia. In most states now, refusing the BAC test gets you
        an 'automatic' 1 year suspension (there are a few exceptions). It is
        due to 'implied consent'. He got the DUI because, scared to death and
        not allowed to make a phone call and given the impression that he could
        be in jail for while, he went in a pleaded guilty to DUI when they had
        nothing on him! He has a hearing this coming Tuesday and we expect the
        judge to reject/reverse this guilty plea. But, even if the judge
        dismissed all the DUI charges on the court side, there is the
        administrative side run by the drivers license department which says
        'you refuse our test and you lose your license (for a year)'.
        gary wrote:

        > Unless I missed it, Steve didn't say what state his son is in so I can't
        > look it up, but I'd like to know in what state you are automatically
        > convicted of DUI if you refuse the test. Anybody know?
        >
        > .

      • ric1009
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3 5:34 AM
          North Carolina carries a penalty like this; automatic license
          suspension for refusal to take a breathalyzer. I don't think it
          carries the same weight as a DUI, but I'm not sure.