General Law City

  • Klon Shugart
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      dear members,

      I have a few questions regarding municipal corporations and their
      jurisdiction.

      The municipality to which I refer is a 'general law city' which has no
      charterwhich is in California.

      What would the general grants of power be for this type of entity?

      What circumstances would place me, a natural person, under their
      jurisdiction?
      I have no contracts with the municipality.

      Would it be possible to establish a general law city out of a general
      law city?

      Under what circumstances can a general law city have their corpoate
      status revoked?

      Can a community segment unincorporate from the municpality?

      I would appreciate information, links, and resources on the subject of
      un incorporating a community.

      thank you.
    • gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
        You might find the folowing link useful. It is information from a book
        called "Guide to California Government"
        http://www.smartvoter.org/gtg/ca/state/overview/municipal.html#2

        Gary

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
          Greetings:

          I'll let the Exhibit below explain it;

          EXHIBIT 044 - NOTICE OF NO MUNICIPAL JURISDICTION

          Below, for clarity, is copied Executive Order 12407 and reference to Executive Order 12314.
          Executive Order 12407 -- Federal Regional Councils
          February 22, 1983
          By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and statutes of the United States of America, and in order to eliminate a mechanism for interagency and intergovernmental coordination which is no longer needed, it is hereby ordered that Executive Order No. 12314, establishing the Federal Regional Councils, is revoked.
          Ronald Reagan
          The White House,
          February 22, 1983.
          [Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 10:33 a.m., February 23, 1983]

          Executive Order 12314
          Federal Regional Councils
          Signed: July 22, 1981
          Federal Register page and date: 46 FR 38329; July 27, 1981
          Revokes: EO 12149, July 20, 1979
          Revoked by: EO 12407, February 22, 1983

          And, below is a quote from U.S. Supreme Court, COMMUNITY COMMUNICATIONS CO., v. BOULDER, 455 U.S. 40 (1982) 455 U.S. 40
          "Ours is a [Page 455 U.S. 40, 41] "dual system of government," Parker, supra, at 351, which has no place for sovereign cities."