setting the record

  • one
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
      Bouviers law dictionary, 1856 Edition
      "Sui Juris - One who has all the rights to which a freemen is entitled;
      one who is not under the power of another, as a slave, a minor, and the
      like.To make a valid contract, a person must, in general, be sui juris.
      Every one of full age is presumed to be sui juris.

      How many actually put this in the record ? Would the presumption run
      against you, if not ?

      I have posted before about Blackstone on full age. You attain it on
      what day ?
    • joetheskeptic
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
        --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, one <jm367@...> wrote:
        >As of 1905 you obtain maturity on the day before your 21st birthday.
        That is according to Bolles.

        Joe Henson
        > Bouviers law dictionary, 1856 Edition
        > "Sui Juris - One who has all the rights to which a freemen is entitled;
        > one who is not under the power of another, as a slave, a minor, and the
        > like.To make a valid contract, a person must, in general, be sui juris.
        > Every one of full age is presumed to be sui juris.
        >
        > How many actually put this in the record ? Would the presumption run
        > against you, if not ?
        >
        > I have posted before about Blackstone on full age. You attain it on
        > what day ?

      • one
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
          Yes. This is the American rule from Blackstone, according to precedents.
          I learned this in The Yankee Lawyer where the author recounts using it
          and the precedents in court, successfully.
          Now, this causes me to wonder if a door of emancipation does not lie in
          simply adopting that day as the day of our adult date of birth.
          When you are asked your date of birth, should you answer as a child or
          as an adult ?

          spearshaker wrote:

          Blackstone: full age in male or female, is twenty one years, which age
          is completed on the day preceding the anniversary of a person's birth