Acquiring Passport without SSN

  • ronsoldcars123
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
      I am new to the list and am wanting to find out how to get a passport
      without giving an SSN. I expatriated from US Citizen to American
      national about 10 years ago

      Ron
    • Pro Se
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
        my friend did this a few years ago...if u read the form. it says if u dont have put all ZERO's
        our AMISH & MENANITES dont have one...
        BUT be pepared for the folks to handle phase 1 of the app. to hassle u.

        If u have a snail mail addy - I can send u the papers my friend used
        He got his back in 9 days, that was faster than me.

        Try it!

      • paradoxmagnus
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
          I thought the SSN was the GOVERNMENT'S and that we simply had USE of
          it.

          Patrick in California
        • mn_chicago
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
            I forget where I got this:

            Notice Regarding Disclosure of SSN

            Section 7 of Public Law 93-579, as enacted by Congress provides that:
            (a)(1) It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State, or local gov't to
            deny any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law
            because os such individual's refusal to disclose his ssn.

            (2) the provisions of par (1) of this subsection shall not apply with
            respect to-
            (A) any disclosure which is required by Federal statute, or

            (B) the disclosure of a ssn to any Federal, State, or local gov't
            agency maintaining a system of records in existence and operating
            before January 1, 1975, if such disclosure was required under statute
            or regulation adopted prior to such date to verify the idenity of an
            individual.

            (b)Any Federal, State, or local gov't agency which requests an
            individual to disclose his ssn shall inform that individual whether
            that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other
            authority such number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it.

            41 USC sec 408 provides that:

            Whoever...(8) discloses, uses or compels the disclosure of the ssn
            of any person in violation of the laws of the US shall be guilty of
            a felony and upon conviction thereof shallbe fined under Title 18 or
            imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.
          • Jason C Muhammad
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2006
              The Privacy Act is attached as found at: http://www.dod.mil/privacy/documents/pa1974.pdf

              To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
                this is what  my friend used & he got his in 9 days w/ out ss#

                Affidavit of information
                Today's Date
                Your Name
                Your Address
                Your City, State and [Zip]
                To Whom It May Concern:
                Subject: Compliance with Title 26 U.S.C 6039E (Federal Tax Law)
                Dear Sir or Madam:
                Enclosed please find a Hi-Lighted copy (see attached "Exhibit A") of the Federal Tax Law, Title 26 U.S.C. 6039E as noted (see attached) on my application under item #6 (social security number).
                I have read and enclosed section 6039E and feel the requirement of my social security number to be in violation of section 6039E and my constitutional rights because of the following reasons:
                Under 6039E (a) (2) applies to be lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws. This section does not apply to myself because as evidence I have presented 2 forms of photo identification and a state certified original copy of my Birth Certificate that clearly shows that I was born in the United States of America and am not an alien seeking to immigrate into the United States because I already am an American Citizen.
                Under 6039E (b) (1) taxpayer’s TIN (if any). A TIN is only required to be obtained by an employer. I am not an employer!
                Under 6039E (b) (2) in the case of a passport applicant, any foreign country in which the individual is residing. I am not currently nor have I ever lived outside of the United States of America!
                Under 6039E (b) (3) in the case of individuals seeking permanent residence….. I am not seeking permanent residence; I am a United States Citizen permanently residing in the United States of America already!
                Under 6039E © Penalty. This section does not apply because of the above listed reasons.
                Under 6039E (d) (2) provide to the Secretary the name (and any other identifying information) of any individual refusing to comply with the provisions of the subsection a. Nothing in the preceding sentence shall be construed to require the disclosure of information which is subject to section 254A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (as in effect on the date of the enactment of this sentence). Again I must repeat that this section does not apply to myself because I have already proven my United States Citizenship by providing 2 forms of photo identification and a state certified copy of my Birth Certificate.
                Enclosed is a copy of my social security card ("Exhibit B") with the number blacked out, please pay close attention to the part under my signature which clearly states in all capital letters: FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES – NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION
                As you can see I am clearly in fully compliance with the law as stated in the Federal Tax Law as outlined under Title 26 U.S.C. 6039E
                Therefore I expect to receive my passport in the normal 2-3 week period. In the unlikely event that I am denied my right to a Passport I expect "under Due Process the letter of the law" a signed original statement by the person denying my application that is: (1) an original statement signed in ink by the person denying my application (2) the letter must state the reason and a copy of any and all law(s) that were used by that person denying my application to determine that I am not entitled to a Passport which would be in violation of my right to travel freely as I choose as guaranteed me in the Constitution of the United States of America under the 14th Amendment as clearly defended and upheld in: Miranda v Arizona, 384 U.S. 436, 491. Which states "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." (3) if the above items are not met then the person denying me my Passport is stating by omission under penalty of perjury (as a reversible error in the court) that there is no violation of the law, that they cannot produce the law and that they are acting on their own personal liability and I can and will sue them personally in Federal Court for loss and punitive damages.
                Again the person denying me my Passport would be committing a FEDERAL CRIME by violating my Constitutional Rights under the 14th Amendment and would be subject to fines and or imprisonment as the law may allow!

                Very Sincerely Yours,

                Your Name

                Enclosed: copy of "Exhibit A" (Title 26 U.S.C.6039E) noted as page 3
                "Exhibit B" (Copy of SSN card that states "Not for Identification") noted as
                page 4
                cc: kept on file for distribution to: US District Attorney
                Honorable Senator Arlen Specter
                Honorable Senator Rick Santorum
                Honorable Representative Donald Sherwood

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • gary
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
                  I sort of doubt that this "affidavit" would stop anyone working for the IRS
                  but, it is not the IRS that issues passports. Personally, I don't think I
                  would start calling attention to myself by attaching this document to a
                  passport application. There is nothing in the IRS regulations about denying
                  a passport to someone who doesn't supply a TIN, it just says they could
                  impose a $500 fine, which I have never heard anyone claim happened to them.

                  I got mine with no SSN, just put all zeros in the SSN space. Got it in the
                  regular amount of time. I will note here that although my wife and I
                  applied together (she put her SSN on the form) our passports are in a
                  different typeface. I have no idea whether this means anything as I have
                  not had a chance to compare many passports.

                  An affidavit is supposed to be just facts, this one is filled with
                  conclusions of law and demands made without any supporting reference to
                  law(s) that would require those demands be met.

                  Your friend says 6039(a)(2) doesn't apply to him, which it doesn't, but why
                  does he ignore 6039(a)(1), which obviously does apply to him? Paragraphs
                  (a)(1) and (2) are not anded together, they are connected by an "OR".

                  Paragraphs (b)(2), (3) obviously do not apply so why mention them? While
                  (b)(4) may or may not have any application, your friend makes a legal
                  conclusion about (b)(1) that is unsupported by any reference to law. If I
                  am not mistaken, businesses get an EIN, not a TIN. Also, I believe -
                  admittedly without looking it up - that non-resident aliens are the only
                  ones required to get a TIN.

                  Your friend attaches a copy of his SS card - admitting he has a number - and
                  refers to where it says NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION, mine also says this, and
                  this is the way it should be, but to believe this is still valid he would
                  have to ignore the statutes that require one.

                  Lastly, does everyone have a RIGHT to a passport? Does not having one deny
                  you the right to travel? Can you be stopped from leaving the country
                  without one? I think you can still get into Canada and Mexico without one.
                  The trouble comes when you try to enter some other countries and it is they
                  who deny you entry.

                  Gary