Law & Authority

  • BeFreeNow1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
      Since this supposed to be a group that deals with legal issues and that there has been a thread (re: Pepsi Pledge) in which some contributers have espoused a "Biblical" belief structure I submit the following for discussion on the broader issue of law and authority.

      Sin

      I am told that I have it.
      I am told that I commit it.
      I am told that I was born in it.
      I am told that I must be saved from it.
      I am told that I must be forgiven for it.
      I am told that I will die if I am found with it.
      I am told that I must have it removed from my life.

      So what is it exactly?  Please be specific and cite your sources and authorities.
    • Tom Kearse
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2003
        Law is based on (somebodys) moral suppositions.  Moral suppositions are inherently religious.
        It is written in the supreme court of Pennsylvania (the oldest continuous court on the continent):  "This a law of nature and of natures God: That any law of man that is in conflict with the law of nature and of natures God is of none effect."
        Blackstone

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2003
          << Law is based on (somebodys) moral suppositions. Moral
          suppositions are inherently religious.
          It is written in the supreme court of Pennsylvania (the oldest
          continuous court on the continent): "This a law of nature and of
          natures God: That any law of man that is in conflict with the law of
          nature and of natures God is of none effect." >>

          BeFreeNow1:
          << Since this supposed to be a group that deals with legal issues and
          that there has been a thread (re: Pepsi Pledge) in which some
          contributers have espoused a "Biblical" belief structure I submit the
          following for discussion on the broader issue of law and authority.
          Sin
          I am told that I have it.
          I am told that I commit it.
          I am told that I was born in it.
          I am told that I must be saved from it.
          I am told that I must be forgiven for it.
          I am told that I will die if I am found with it.
          I am told that I must have it removed from my life.
          So what is it exactly? Please be specific and cite your sources and
          authorities. >>

          realbadger (me):
          Excellent!

          Tom Kearse:
          << 1 John 5, 1 John 3, 1 John 2, 1 John 6, Prov 6: 16-19
          that is about four of 800 and some references.
          your turn. >>

          realbadger (me):
          You're still operating under the subjective assumption that "the
          Bible" is THE authority of *everyone*, including but not limited to
          non-Christians.
          Would you hold that the authority of the Torah applies to Christians?

          realbadger
          A patriot who "happens" not to be Christian
          [To be more precise: of the Oldest/First Religion (by around 10,000+
          years)...]
        • Tom Kearse
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2003
            as purviewed through the Messiah of the Torah, rejected by the people to
            whom the Torah was given.
            > << Law is based on (somebodys) moral suppositions. Moral
            > suppositions are inherently religious.
            > It is written in the supreme court of Pennsylvania (the oldest
            > continuous court on the continent): "This a law of nature and of
            > natures God: That any law of man that is in conflict with the law of
            > nature and of natures God is of none effect." >>
            >
            > BeFreeNow1:
            > << Since this supposed to be a group that deals with legal issues and
            > that there has been a thread (re: Pepsi Pledge) in which some
            > contributers have espoused a "Biblical" belief structure I submit the
            > following for discussion on the broader issue of law and authority.
            > Sin
            > I am told that I have it.
            > I am told that I commit it.
            > I am told that I was born in it.
            > I am told that I must be saved from it.
            > I am told that I must be forgiven for it.
            > I am told that I will die if I am found with it.
            > I am told that I must have it removed from my life.
            > So what is it exactly? Please be specific and cite your sources and
            > authorities. >>
            >
            > realbadger (me):
            > Excellent!
            >
            > Tom Kearse:
            > << 1 John 5, 1 John 3, 1 John 2, 1 John 6, Prov 6: 16-19
            > that is about four of 800 and some references.
            > your turn. >>
            >
            > realbadger (me):
            > You're still operating under the subjective assumption that "the
            > Bible" is THE authority of *everyone*, including but not limited to
            > non-Christians.
            > Would you hold that the authority of the Torah applies to Christians?
            >
            > realbadger
            > A patriot who "happens" not to be Christian
            > [To be more precise: of the Oldest/First Religion (by around 10,000+
            > years)...]

            ---