Re: [tips_and_tricks] Stopping debt collection calls ans letters

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      I've been helping my mother out with debt collectors. Here is what they
      are doing, and I have 3 years worth of experience to prove it.
      I write a certified letter to them (like it is from her and she signs
      it) asking for detailed validation of the debt and proof of claim. I
      inform them that if
      they purchased the debt, they can only attempt to collect what they paid
      for the debt.

      I never hear again from the collectors I send this letter to, but
      instead and within a month or two, she gets another 'first time' letter
      from some other debt collector for the same debt.

      It does on and on. I'll bet in the past 3 years, I have sent 12 or 13
      dispute and request for validation letters for her and the same thing
      keeps happening. I'm about to send two more, and I think I'm going to
      add something new this time. I'm going to add that if they cannot
      validate the debt, then I forbid them from selling or transferring it to
      another collector.

      Thanks, Steve