Re: Stopping debt collection calls and letters

  • Leo DuBois
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006

      Typically these third party collectors purchase the debt for 6 to 10 cents on the dollar. You can send a validation letter so they see you will not just roll over. They do not want to have to go to court and neither do we as it is risky. We have just made it go away in 2 cases here by offering to settle for 10 cents on the dollar in the validation request and it was accepted. It saves us lots of time and it goes away  I am sure many here will hate this response and want to fight but your time is worth something too  and a protracted fight you could lose lasting years is worth avoiding. We are going to offer $350 for a claim of $4500 to see what happens. We did that in another case and the collector wrote that they would not pursue the debt and that they were returning it to the original claimant. We have not heard anything for 7 months.  The offer shows good faith and has worked on 2 cases so far.

      Posted by: "hubbarddamar2@..." hubbarddamar2@...   hubbarddamar20

      Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:10 pm (PST)

      What if you sent a validation letter and they never responded, however you receive a summons to court for an alleged debt without validation or verification

      From: "Dave Callahan" <nahallac1@comcast. net>
      If you inform the debt collector that you do not owe them this amount,
      or any other amount, and this is your one and only notice they will
      receive. The fair Debt Collection Act (FDCPA) they may not call you or
      write you again except to inform you that they are no longer making
      any attempt to collect this alleged debt. They are subject to a
      $10,000/day fine. Only the holder in due course has a right to come
      after you for an alleged debt. The card issuer sells the paper (Credit
      slip to a trust, and the card issuer becomes becomes a collector for
      the trust. You may also make a statment that you have no contract with
      the Debt collector, or law firm, and they are hereby fired. Depending
      on the size of the alleged debt , if it is small enough they may just
      go away. Give it a try, and if they continue to harass you post again,
      and we'll give you additional info.